Individual chained himself to Stallions statue for 12 days

Two Word chained himself to the Fighting Stallions on Feb.5 as part of what he claimed to be an art installation.

Photo by Jakob Rodriguez | Assistant News Editor

The individual who chained himself to the Fighting Stallions statue was cut out of his chains by the university police department, but questions still surround his presence on campus.
The individual’s self-proclaimed art installation started the morning of Feb. 5 and ended at approximately 4:40 p.m. Feb. 17. His time at the Stallions lasted twelve and a half days.
The individual was cut out of the chains after university police advised him of his university policy violations by sleeping or camping out on campus.
Jayme Blaschke, director of the office of media relations, confirmed that the individual was asked to leave campus and complied.
“Per university and campus policy, individuals cannot sleep or camp out overnight,” Blaschke said.
There were no reports of the individual unchaining himself at any time during his art installation despite having the need to relieve himself and eat.
James McCullough, nutrition senior, said he has known the individual since high school, but only remembers his first name, Derrick.
The individual told students passing through the Quad that he had served in the Navy and attended Texas State prior to becoming homeless. Neither statement has been confirmed.
McCullough said the individual graduated Churchill High School in San Antonio in 2004 and was part of the punk rock scene around San Antonio before coming to Texas State.
“I just wanted to know what he’s trying to say,” McCullough said.