Bobcats fall short 70-68 in overtime

Graphic by Shayan Faradineh | Managing Editor

The Texas State men’s basketball team lost 70-68 in overtime to the University of Texas Arlington Feb. 10 at the College Park Center in Arlington, Texas.
The Bobcats are now 14-12 on the season and 7-6 in Sun Belt Conference play. UTA improved to 16-10 overall and 7-6 in the conference.
“This was a very tough loss to swallow,” Head coach Danny Kaspar said. “We had a chance to win the game, but we just didn’t complete the play. I am proud of how hard the guys fought. We came into a tough place to win in and gave them tough battle. I am concerned how four straight close losses will affect our team, but I am hoping we will bounce back that people don’t expect us to win.”
Texas State led the Mavericks 35-32 going into halftime. Coming back from halftime, the Bobcats held the lead until the 6:43 mark when the Mavericks took a 57-55 with made free throws.
Both teams went back and forth, leaving the score 66-64 in favor of the Bobcats with 90 seconds on the clock.
The Mavericks quickly responded to tie the game 66-66 at the end of regulation.
The University of Texas Arlington took the lead in overtime with a short jumper, but sophomore guard Nijal Pearson answered with a layup to keep the score the score tied 68-68.
The final shots of the game were from the charity strip after the Bobcats were called on the foul with 1:08 left on the clock. The Mavericks led 70-68.
Although the Bobcats had good looks in the final minute of the game, they were unable to score. The final score was 70-68.
Nottingham led the Bobcats with 24 points and shot 35.0 percent from the field. Pearson followed with 18 points and a team-high of nine rebounds.
The Bobcats will continue conference play at the Cajundome Feb. 15 against Louisiana. Tip-off is set for 7:15 p.m.