Bobcats earn 21st win in rout of UTA

Graphic by Shayan Faradineh | Managing Editor

The Texas State Women’s basketball team closed out its regular season with a 75-58 rout of the University of Texas Arlington Mavericks Saturday, March 3.
The Senior Day win gives the Bobcats a 21-8 regular season record. The Bobcats boast the best overall record in the Sun Belt Conference but sit in the number two spot in the rankings with a 14-4 conference record behind the Little Rock Trojans who boast a 17-1 conference record.
Texas State’s 21 wins this year are tied for most in program history and locks the Bobcats into the second seed for the upcoming Sun Belt Conference Championship.
The Bobcats came charging out of the gates to start, taking an early lead off an early jumper from Taeler Deer, senior point guard. Deer’s opening game score was just a taste of what was to come.
The Bobcats led from the opening buzzer, never taking their foot off the pedal and imposing their offensive will on the Mavericks. Texas State finished the game with three Bobcats in double digits.
Deer led the Bobcats in scoring with 28-points. Deer was 11-of-21 in shot attempts and made 5-of-7 free throws. The senior point guard rounded out her game, notching up five assists, four steals, a block and grabbing four rebounds. On the season, Deer is averaging 17.1 points.
Following Deer was Toshua Leaviit, junior guard, with 20-points. The junior sharpshooter was 6-of-9 from behind the three-point line moving her season total to 125 on the season, leading the NCAA. Leavitt grabbed a pair of assists and rebounds.
Completing the trio of Bobcats in double digits was Erika May, senior forward, who contributed 11 points.
Next up for the Bobcats is the Sun Belt Conference Championship at the Lakefront Arena in New Orleans. Texas State is set to play the winner of no. 7 Coastal Carolina and no. 10 Georgia State March 8, at 5 p.m. with the winner advancing to the semifinals.