Commissioners Court extends burn ban, accepts $100,000 grant for jail restoration

The Hays County Historic Courthouse.

The Hays County Commissioners Court approved the continuation of the county’s burn ban, grant donations for a jail restoration project and 2021 meeting cancellations at its Dec. 22 meeting.
Hays County Judge Ruben Becerra was absent from the meeting after testing positive for COVID-19. The meeting opened with the approval of reappointment to the Hays County Protective Board, as well as the Board of Emergency Services District three, nine and four:

• Samantha Tuzo to the Hays County Child Protective Board
  • Tom Richey to the Board of Emergency Services District three
  • Sharon O’Brien Board of Emergency Services District three
  • Ross Britt to the Board for Emergency Services District three
  • Ron Spangenberg for the Board Board of Emergency Services District four
  • John White for the Board Board of Emergency Services District four
  • Eddie Gumbert for the Board Board of Emergency Services District four
  • Bruce Schneider to the Board of Emergency Services District nine
  • Carla Sisk to the Board of Emergency Services District nine
  • Roger Boyd to the Board of Emergency Services District nine 

The court agreed to continue the Hays County burn ban indefinitely. The burn ban prohibits the burning of treated construction waste, household garbage, tires and other materials that can influence high amounts of smoke or risk starting an uncontrollable fire.
“At this time I would highly recommend that we leave the burn ban in place,” said Nathan Mendenhall, Hays County fire marshal. “Based on the fact that we have not had adequate precipitation to raise the fuel moisture content and then we are coming into firework season as well, and there are no restrictions of fireworks.”
The court also accepted a $100,000 grant donation from The Burdine Johnson Foundation for the Hays County Historical Commissions’ ongoing Jail Restoration Project. The project consists of renovating the Old Hays County Jail for historical preservation.
Commissioners agreed to cancel the court’s regular meetings for the following dates in 2021: Jan. 19, Feb. 2, March 16, April 6, May 25, June 29, Oct. 12, Nov. 30 and Dec. 28.
The Hays County Commissioners Court meets every Tuesday at 9 a.m. For more information visit its website.