Soccer secures second win in road game against Louisiana Monroe

Texas State junior midfielder/forward Ally Kewish (12) and freshman forward/midfielder Haley Shaw (19) work together to get the ball down the field while University of Louisiana at Lafayette junior forward Lizzie Mayfield (22) is close behind, Sunday, Sept. 20, 2020, at the Bobcat Soccer Complex. Photo credit: Michele Dupont

Texas State soccer (2-6-1 overall, 2-2-0 Sun Belt) won 2-1 in a road game against the University of Louisiana Monroe (0-4-0 overall, 0-3-0 Sun Belt) Oct. 2.
The first period opened with a shot on goal by ULM freshman defender Ashley Johnson saved by Texas State freshman goalkeeper Beth Agee. Louisiana Monroe had two other shots that went out top and left.
In the 10th minute of the period, senior forward Sydney Kammer shot and scored the first goal of the match, assisted by freshman midfielder Emma Jones.
Following a few fouls for both teams, Texas State led the game 1-0 to end the half. The Warhawks finished the period with three shots, the Bobcats with two of their own.
Starting the second period, Louisiana Monroe came out prepared, with freshman defender/midfielder Lena Goppel scoring after the 47th minute. Goppel attempted another shot but missed out top after the 51-minute mark.
Louisiana Monroe junior defender Kathryn Yarbrough had a close shot, but it was saved by Agee. Later in the same minute, Texas State sophomore midfielder Bailey Peschel scored the Bobcats’ second goal, also assisted by Jones, putting them up 2-1.
The maroon and gold were solid on defense and forced three missed shots late in the second period. Bobcat freshman midfielder Wimberley Wright shot on goal but was saved by Louisiana Monroe junior goalkeeper Hailey Hillock.
In the final three minutes, Texas State sophomore forward/midfielder Kiara Gonzales had a shot on goal that was saved. Another shot, by Kammer, went out top.
Finishing the game, the Warhawks led the game with 10 shots but failed to convert and tie the game.
Texas State will continue its road trip and head to Lafayette, Louisiana, where the team will face the University of Louisiana at Lafayette Ragin Cajuns at 1 p.m. on Oct. 4.