Commissioners Court approves grant for meal delivery service

Hays County Historic Court House.

The Hays County Commissioners Court passed a grant to aid in food delivery assistance in the county and provided an update on the county’s COVID-19 situation at an Oct. 13 regular meeting.
The court authorized County Judge Ruben Becerra to execute a resolution approving a $13,000 grant to Combine Community Action for 2021, an organization that provides assistance and comprehensive programs to transition people out of poverty, including delivering meals to homebound elderly or disabled persons. The organization is a branch of the Meals on Wheels Rural Capital Area program and provides meals to Hays County residents.
In an update on the county’s COVID-19 situation, Becerra spoke on his decision to reopen bars in Hays County, urging residents to “mask up so we don’t have to shut down.” He says if Hays County sees rising COVID-19 numbers again following the reopening of bars, they will be shut down again.
“We’ve shut it down for less, and I don’t want to. My hope is that we continue to self-monitor and help one another and not just have a blame game so that we could most completely help everyone move through this as we have been,” Becerra said.
The court went on to discuss a spending plan for utilizing the $12,000 balance of state funds received in July for the purpose of fighting COVID-19 and adjusting the county budget accordingly. A minimum of 75% of the funds must be spent on medical expenses, public health expenses and payroll expenses for employees dedicated to COVID-19 response.
The court voted to revisit the discussion, allowing staff to further develop the details of the plan and provide suggestions and recommendations through the auditor’s office.
The court also approved the adoption of a proclamation recognizing the 10th anniversary of Centro Cultural Hispano de San Marcos. The cultural center is a place where people can learn about and share their Hispanic Heritage while also serving as a resource for the preservation, development and promotion of the Spanish culture.