Men’s golf places second in Bubba Barnett Intercollegiate

Texas State junior hitter Fabien Sunden (205, -11) led the Bobcats, finishing in second.

Texas State men’s golf finished second at the Bubba Barnett Intercollegiate Oct. 12-13 in Jonesboro, Arkansas with a score of 848 and shot 16 under par.
Rounds one and two took place on Oct. 12, and round three followed on Oct. 13.
Wrapping up day one, the maroon and gold (565, -11) were trailing only Arkansas State (542, -34).
After three rounds, Arkansas State (814, -50) sat comfortably in first place, Texas State finished in second place (848, -16) and Abilene Christian (874, +10) sat in third.
Texas State junior hitter Fabian Sunden (205, -11) led the Bobcats, placing second overall. Senior hitter Logan Lockwood (213, -3) finished tied for seventh on the leaderboard. For the second time in a row, Sunden and Lockwood led the team.
Freshman hitter Kasper Nyland shot even (216, 0) and tied for ninth place. Following the top three Bobcats, sophomore hitter Evan White shot two-over-par (218). Freshman hitter Payne Johnson shot 10 over par (226). Redshirt senior hitter Dalton Hankamer shot 12 over par (228).
Arkansas State senior Julien Sale led all hitters with a score of 200 (-15).
The team had not played in a tournament since Sept. 13-15 at the Jim Rivers Intercollegiate, where the team placed third (292, +4).
Head Coach Shane Howell spoke on how the team improved since the last tournament.
“We just wanted to focus on everyone’s individual needs,” Howell said. “Our guys played great. They played with great poise and skill.”
“They definitely improved inside of 150 yards. Our improved numbers showed us the difference.”
Next, Texas State will head to Little Rock, Arkansas, to play in the Little Rock Invitational Oct. 19-20.