Women’s basketball drops season-opener in The Big Easy

Sophomore forward Da-Nasia Hood goes in for a layup at Oral Roberts. Photo courtesy of Texas State Athletics.

Texas State women’s basketball (0-1 overall) fell short in its season-opener, losing 67-64 against New Orleans University (1-0 overall) Nov. 28 at Lakefront Arena.
Starting the first quarter, Texas State jumped out to a 4-0 lead after two made jumpers by senior guard Avionne Alexander and junior guard Ja’Kayla Bowie. New Orleans would answer by going on an 8-0 run to take the lead. After trading shots, New Orleans would lead 16-10 to end the first quarter.
The Bobcats struggled shooting the ball in the first, only converting 17.6% (3-17, 0-8 three-pointers); however, they were a perfect 4-4 on free throws.
The Privateers shot 55.56% (5-9, 1-5 three-pointers) and shot 62.50% (5-8) from the line.
Opening up the second quarter, senior guard Jada Duncantell scored two free-throws and a layup to extend New Orleans’ lead to 20-10. Texas State would lock in on defense and respond with a 16-0 run to take the lead 28-22 with 2:39 left in the half.
Junior forward Da’Nasia Hood would hit a three with 0:34 on the clock to take Texas State into halftime leading 32-26.
During the second quarter, the Bobcats would grab a total of 16 rebounds, seven of them offensive and leading to second-chance points. 
Texas State led at the half despite shooting 28.1% (9-32) compared to New Orleans’ 36.3% (8-22). The Bobcats shot the ball much better in the second quarter (6-15, 4-10 three-pointers) after getting settled into the game.
New Orleans senior guard Jada Duncantell led all scorers at the half with 14. Bowie and Hood led the Bobcats with nine points each. Hood almost put together a first-half double-double with eight rebounds.
To start the third, Texas State went on a 5-0 run to extend its lead to 37-26, its largest lead of the game. New Orleans fought back into the game after an 8-2 run cut the Bobcats’ lead to 39-34. Alexander would end the run by hitting a floater extending Texas State’s lead to 41-34.
The Privateers would make a late 10-2 third-quarter run to take the lead 48-44 over the Bobcats heading into the fourth.
Starting the final quarter, graduate student guard/forward Gabby Standifer would score the first basket and cut the Privateers’ lead down to 48-46. Texas State would then tie the game 51-51 just over halfway through the quarter.
With 1:41 left on the clock and the game tied 57-57, New Orleans’ junior guard Mia Deck sunk a dagger three-pointer to put the Privateers up 60-57.
In an attempt to slow the game down, Texas State would intentionally foul to force New Orleans to make free throws. The Privateers would capitalize on their chances at the line and finish the final minute 7-10 from the free-throw line.
New Orleans extended the lead to a two-possession game (66-62) with 0:11 left and fouled Texas State to not allow Texas State to tie the game with a three. After two free-throws by Hood and one by New Orleans’ Duncantell, the Bobcats would take their first loss of the season 67-64.
The Bobcats shot 29.7% (19-64) from the field, 22.7% (5-22) on three-point shots and 75% (21-28) from the free-throw line. Despite the three-point loss, Texas State grabbed a total of 46 rebounds (18 offensive), 12 assists and 16 steals. They also scored 22 points off of 24 turnovers.
New Orleans shot 42% (21-50) from the field, 32% (8-25) from the three-point line and 63% (17-27) from the free-throw line. The Privateers reeled in 32 rebounds, 12 assists and seven steals. The Privateers forced a total of 22 turnovers through four quarters.
Hood led the Bobcats in scoring with 16 points and rebounds with 12. Junior guard Kennedy Taylor led the Bobcats in assists with four to go along with 11 points. The point guard also led the game in steals with six and managed to grab six rebounds along the way. Bowie knocked down all four of her free-throws and recorded 11 points. Alexander finished with 12 points.
Duncantell led all scorers with 28 along with five rebounds, three assists and two steals. Following Duncantell were Deck (7-10 free throws) and Bruce (4-6 three-pointers) with 12 points.
Texas State will look to even its record against Southern Methodist University at 7 p.m. on Dec. 3 in Dallas.