4 Texas State volleyball players named to All-Sun Belt teams

Texas State women’s volleyball team celebrates on the sidelines after scoring a point during a game against the University of Texas at Arlington, Saturday, Nov. 14, 2020, at Strahan Arena. The Bobcats lost 3-0 against the Mavericks.

Four Texas State volleyball players were named to the All-Sun Belt teams following the Sun Belt Conference’s announcement Nov. 24 of the 2020 volleyball postseason honors. 

Junior setter Emily DeWalt was named Setter of the Year. The announcement marked DeWalt’s third consecutive time receiving the award.

DeWalt is joined on the All-Sun Belt First Team by her teammates, junior outside hitter Janell Fitzgerald and senior middle blocker Tyeranee Scott. Sophomore outside hitter Lauren Teske made the All-Sun Belt Second Team.

DeWalt was second in the Sun Belt with an average of 11.26 assists per set to go along with 3.35 digs per set, .80 kills per set and 16 aces. She was named Setter of the Week six times this season, including three of the last four weeks. DeWalt also made the All-Tournament Team. 

Scott had the second-best hitting percentage in the conference at .350, was fifth in kills per set with 3.75 and led the Bobcats in total blocks with 82 (.99 per set). She was also named Most Outstanding Player in the Sun Belt Volleyball Championship. Scott was named Defensive Player of the Week one time this season.

Fitzgerald’s .350 hitting percentage was third in the conference, and her 3.75 kills per set was good enough for fifth in the Sun Belt. She was also second on the team in total blocks with 80. Fitzgerald was named Offensive Player of the Week twice this year.

Teske averaged 2.24 kills per set in addition to 33 total blocks and 24 aces. She was named Offensive Player of the Week Sept. 22.

Junior opposite Anett Nemeth of Coastal Carolina took home Player of the Year and Offensive Player of the Year.

The University of Arlington’s sophomore defensive specialist/libero Alli Wells was named Defensive Player of the Year.

Freshman middle blocker Rebecca Walk of South Alabama University earned Freshman of the Year.

The University of Arkansas at Little Rock’s junior defensive specialist/libero Leigh Maher won Newcomer of the Year.

The Coach of the Year award was awarded to Coastal Carolina’s Jozsef Forman.