Texas State football to face undefeated Coastal Carolina in last game of season

Texas State junior wide receiver Marcell Barbee (18) jumps up to congratulate senior wide receiver Jeremiah Haydel (3) on his touchdown during a game against Arkansas State, Saturday, Nov. 21, 2020, at Bobcat Stadium. Texas State won 47-45.

Texas State football (2-9 overall, 2-5 Sunbelt) will play its last game of the season against No. 20 Coastal Carolina (8-0 overall, 6-0 Sunbelt) Nov. 28 at Bobcat Stadium.
The game will be an emotional one for the players, as they take the field following the recent death of sophomore defensive back Khambrail Winters.
Texas State’s sophomore quarterback Brady McBride was named the Sun Belt’s Offensive Player of the Week after a record-setting performance in the Bobcats’ 47-45 win against the Arkansas State University Red Wolves. McBride’s 443 passing yards are the second-highest single-game total in Texas State history.
This year, Coastal is first in the Sun Belt in pass defense, allowing 179.4 yards per game. The Chanticleers are also first in overall scoring defense, allowing 17.1 points per game.
Coastal’s senior linebacker Silas Kelly leads the team in tackles with 32 solo and 29 assisted tackles.
Coastal has scored 40 total touchdowns this season and averages 37.4 points per game. Coastal averages 432.9 yards per game and has 3,463 total yards on the offense.
The Bobcats’ defense will be on high alert for freshman quarterback Grayson McCall, whose 18 touchdown passes and 190.5 passer efficiency rating are top in the Sun Belt.
Junior wide receiver Jaivon Heiligh’s 80.9 yards per game is third in the Sun Belt. Heiligh also has six touchdowns on the season.
Senior running back CJ Marable leads the Chanticleers in rushing, with 435 yards. With 11 total touchdowns on the season, Marable is one of Coastal’s top offensive threats.
Texas State’s defense allows 279.9 passing yards per game. Junior cornerback Jaron Morris is Texas State’s top solo tackler with 48, followed by junior safety Brendon Luper with 37 and junior defensive lineman Nico Ezidore with 26.
Texas State has an average of 28.9 points a game. Junior wide receiver Marcell Barbee is the Bobcats’ top scorer with 10 touchdowns and an average of 49.1 yards per game.
McBride will continue as the Bobcats’ starting quarterback since the injury of junior quarterback Tyler Vitt. McBride completes 59.8% of his passes for an average of 215.4 yards per game and 16 total touchdowns.
Kickoff is at 2 p.m in Bobcat Stadium, and the game will be broadcast on ESPN+.