Best Sweet Shop: Rhea’s Ice Cream

Best sweet shop: Rhea’s Ice Cream

Known for its original flavors and old fashioned charm, Rhea’s Ice Cream has been serving up sweetness for all generations in San Marcos to enjoy.
Located at 318 N LBJ Dr., Rhea’s offers a variety of sweet treats such as root beer floats, milkshakes and ice cream cookie sandwiches.
The shop opened its doors in 2009 by founder Rhea Ortamond. In 2015 Ortamond sold the shop to long-time friend, Lindsey Belk.
Belk said Ortamond opened the shop with a collection of flavors that came from secret family recipes. Those same original flavors continue to be sold today.
“She taught me everything I know about ice cream,” Belk said. “That’s why I never changed the name, this is Rhea’s Ice Cream. Credit where credit’s due.”
With new ice cream shops opening up around town, Belk said he is honored Rhea’s has won Best Sweet Shop for the second year in a row. He said the shop strives to be a place where members of the community can come together, enjoy ice cream and create timeless memories with one another.
“The ultimate goal of Rhea’s is to create an experience that can be shared from generation to generation,” Belk said. “I keep everything very simple and hope that’s why people from all walks of life feel at home here.”
Due to the outbreak of COVID-19, Belk said the ice cream shop has decided to temporarily close all of their locations in Gruene, New Braunfels and San Marcos. Belk said the decision came from wanting to protect his customers, employees and community.
“With all of the uncertainties of the virus the most responsible thing to do, and the best way that I could serve my community is to close my doors,” Belk said. “Stay home, that’s how we can help.”
For more information on Rhea’s Ice Cream visit https://rheasicecream.com/index.html or @rheas.icecream on Instagram.
2nd place: Dos Gatos
3rd place: Icy Rolls