Women’s basketball falls to Arkansas State for third loss in a row

Texas State junior forward Da’Nasia Hood shoots the basketball over defenders during the fourth quarter of the game against the University of Louisiana at Lafayette Saturday, Jan. 2, 2021, at Strahan Arena. The Bobcats lost 67-41.

Texas State women’s basketball (4-5 overall, 1-3 Sun Belt) fell to the Arkansas State University Red Wolves (7-1 overall, 2-0 Sun Belt) for the second time this weekend, losing 70-54 on Jan. 9.
En route to its seventh win in a row, Arkansas State went up big early in the game due to efficient shooting from all over the court. On the other end, the Bobcats struggled to generate offense in the first half. 
The Red Wolves started the first quarter making multiple contested shots and containing the Bobcats with their active defense as they jumped out to an 11-0 lead in the first four minutes. The Bobcats’ first points came off a three-point jumper by junior guard Kennedy Taylor to make the score 11-2 with just over six minutes left in the first.
Arkansas State then went on a 15-6 run, led by junior guard Jada Stinson with seven points over the stretch, to take a 26-9 lead with 2:14 on the clock. Junior forward Da’Nasia Hood would score five points in the final two minutes of the opening period to take Texas State into the second quarter trailing 29-14.
The second quarter saw the Bobcats switch around their defense to a 2-3 zone in an attempt to stop the Red Wolves’ strong play on the perimeter and had some success doing so early in the period. Arkansas State went 1-5 from the field and committed three fouls (one offensive) in the first three and a half minutes. Unfortunately, Texas State also struggled to score early in the quarter, shooting 1-6.
After two made free throws by the Bobcats’ junior guard Tianna Eaton at the 6:46 mark, both teams ramped up their activity offensively. For the next two minutes, the teams traded baskets as the Red Wolves led 37-23 after another three by Taylor.
With seconds left in the half, Arkansas State secured a steal and took it full court for a layup by senior guard Morgan Wallace, taking the game to halftime — Texas State trailing 48-29.
In the first half, Texas State shot 35.7% (10-28, 3-12 three-pointers) and 75% (6-8) at the line. Arkansas State shot 63.6% (21-33, 5-10 three-pointers) but only managed to get to the line once, going 1-2.
The Red Wolves can thank senior forward Peyton Martin for much of their production in the first half. Martin contributed 16 points on 66.6% (8-12) shooting and led the team with five rebounds (four offensive). Stinson helped out with nine points (4-6, 1-3 three-pointers), as well as junior forward Karolina Szydlowska with nine points, all from beyond the arc (3-4).
For the Bobcats, Hood did not complete a shot from two-point range in the first half, going 1-6 from three and 4-4 on foul shots for a total of seven points. Hood was followed by Taylor with six points (2-3 three-pointers).
Texas State showed life early in the third quarter by containing its opposition with stellar defense, scoring efficiently and getting to the line regularly. The Bobcats went on a 12-2 run to start the third quarter, shooting 4-8 from the field and 6-8 on free throws to cut the Red Wolves’ lead down to 52-43 with 2:15 left in the quarter.
A layup from Arkansas State’s Jireh Washington closed out the third and brought the Red Wolves’ lead back up to double-digits as they led 54-44 heading into the fourth.
Sophomore forward Lauryn Thompson was the leading scorer for the Bobcats in the third, scoring eight of Texas State’s 13 points. The Red Wolves were held to a mere six points in the third quarter.
Right out the gates in the fourth, Arkansas State increased its lead by making tough shots and causing turnovers. The Red Wolves went up 15 points thanks to an 11-6 run in the first four and a half minutes of the quarter.
Both teams then went scoreless for over three minutes until a pair of free throws by Washington increased Arkansas State’s lead to 67-50.
Texas State went on to lose 70-54 for its third loss in a row.
For the game, the Bobcats failed to convert from the field, shooting 32.7% (17-52, 3-16 three-pointers). They had a fairly good night at the line, shooting 70.8% (17-24).
Arkansas State on the other hand had a great night shooting the ball, connecting on 44.1% (26-59, 5-15 three-pointers) from the field and 76.5% (13-17) at the line.
Thompson led the way for Texas State, finishing with 15 points (4-9, 7-10 free throws) seven rebounds and a steal. She was followed by Hood, who had 12 points (3-11, 1-7 three-pointers, 7-10 free throws) and a team-high nine rebounds (four offensive).
Martin led all scorers with 18 points (9-19) for Arkansas State along with seven offensive rebounds (eight total). Stinson finished with 12 points (5-9, 1-5 three-pointers) and three steals.
Next up Texas State will take on the University of Arkansas at Little Rock Trojans at home on Jan. 15-16. The game will be streamed on ESPN+.