Volleyball set to play 14 matches before NCAA Tournament

The Texas State volleyball team comes together in celebration after scoring a point during the match against the University of Louisiana at Lafayette on Oct. 17, 2020, at Strahan Arena. The Bobcats won 3-0.

In preparation for the NCAA Tournament being held April 22-24, Texas State volleyball will play 14 matches, six at home and eight away.

The first six matches will be played on the road, beginning with the Bobcats’ I-35 rival the University of Texas at San Antonio (2-1) on Feb. 10. Texas State has got the best of the Roadrunners historically, holding a 23-7 advantage all-time. The teams last faced each other on Sept. 19, 2019, with the Bobcats walking away with a 3-1 victory (25-21, 24-26, 25-21, 25-20).

Texas State will then take a trip to the Metroplex, first to face the University of North Texas on Feb. 18 then Texas Christian University on Feb. 27. UNT has not played since Oct. 3, 2020, when the Mean Green played the University of Texas at El Paso and Stephen F. Austin University in exhibition matches, splitting the two matches. TCU struggled during the fall portion of its schedule, going 1-9 in Big 12 play.

Next, the Bobcats will travel to the sunflower state to take on Kansas State University on March 4 and Kansas University on March 5. K-State was 10-6 in the fall while KU was 5-9.

Texas State will play the first of two games against No. 2 ranked the University of Texas at Austin on March 8 in the Frank Erwin Center. UT went 14-0 in the fall.

The next three games will be played in San Marcos, beginning with No. 6 Baylor University on March 10. The Bears were 13-3 in 2020. Next up the Longhorns will travel south down I-35 to play Texas State on March 16 in Strahan Arena. Concluding the homestand the Bobcats will play TCU for the second time on March 18.

Texas State will travel to the University of Houston for a game on March 20. So far in 2021, the Cougars are 3-1.

The Bobcats will then play three-straight home games, first against UNT on March 25, then against Texas Tech University on March 26-27. The Red Raiders finished 2020 with a record of 5-11.

For the final game before the tournament, Texas State will face off once again against Baylor on April 1.

The 2020 NCAA tournament will be held at the CenturyLink Center in Omaha, Nebraska, beginning with the semifinals on April 22 and the finals on April 24.

The Bobcats finished the fall portion of the schedule with an overall record of 24-2 and a Sun Belt Conference record of 15-1. Texas State capped off the season with its third-straight conference tournament title and was ranked No. 11 in the Nov. 25 AVCA Coaches Poll.