Texas State takes down Coastal Carolina 27-7 on the road

In this 2017 file photo, Texas State celebrates a touchdown in a “Battle of I-35” matchup against the University of Texas at San Antonio in Bobcat Stadium. The Bobcats lost the game 44-14. On Sept. 12, 2020, Texas State adds a new chapter to the rivalry against UTSA as the two teams face off again at the stadium.

The Texas State football team took down the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers 27-7 Oct. 28 at Benton Field in Conway, South Carolina.
The Bobcats improved their season to 2-6 and 1-3 in the Sun Belt Conference. SBC member, Coastal Carolina fell to 1-7 on the season and 0-5 in conference play. This is the first conference win for head coach Everett Withers since taking the head coach position in 2016.
Texas State took an early lead over Coastal Carolina after a reverse flea-flicker to senior tight-end Gabe Schrade on the left sideline resulting in a 54-yard touchdown. The extra point attempt by freshman kicker Foster Hilborn gave the Bobcats a 7-0 lead.
The Chanticleers tied the game 7-7 after a bad snap on the field goal attempt by the Bobcats. It was recovered and returned for 50-yards.
The Bobcats added seven more points to the board with a slant route from graduate quarterback Damian Williams to senior wide-receiver Eric Luna for his first touchdown of the season. Texas State led 14-7.
Before the end of the half, a 68-yard drive led to a 37-yard field goal by Hilborn, a career best. The Bobcats went into the locker room on top 17-7.
Coming back from the half, the Bobcats moved up the field, but penalties by both teams halted the Bobcat drive. Hilborn completed another 37-yard field goal and extended the Bobcat lead to 20-7.
Texas State earned their final touchdown in the fourth quarter with a two-yard dive by freshman running-back Anthony Smith. The Chanticleers were unable to answer the Bobcats, leaving the score 27-7.
Williams led the offense with 27-of-38 completed passes for 269 yards. Williams also rushed the ball for 29 yards while his 51 offensive attempts set a new career mark. The quarterback totaled 298 yards by the end of the game, making this game the second-best in his career.
Senior safety Dila Rosemond led the defense with six tackles, senior linebacker Gabe Loyd completed four tackles with one sack and junior linebacker Frankie Griffin collected four tackles and a fumble recovery.
Texas State will continue conference play at Bobcat Stadium against New Mexico State Nov 4. The Homecoming game is set to begin at 2 p.m.