Texas State comes up short 45-35 against New Mexico State at homecoming

Photo by: Victor Rodriguez | Staff Photographer

The Texas State football team came up short 45-35 to Sun Belt Conference opponent New Mexico State in the Homecoming game Nov 3 at Bobcat Stadium.
The Bobcats dropped to 1-4 in conference play while the Aggies improved to 2-3 in the SBC.
With the Aggies winning the coin toss, the Bobcats took advantage of the first drive. The Bobcats were the first on the board after a completed 10-yard pass to senior tight-end Gabe Schrade from sophomore wide-receiver Hutch White.
New Mexico State quickly answered back with a 2-yard touchdown, tying the game 7-7. The Bobcats struck back with a 11-yard touchdown pass from graduate quarterback Damian Williams to senior wide-receiver Elijah King, putting the Bobcats ahead 14-7 to end the quarter.
In the second, the Aggies tied the game at 14-14 with a 44-yard touchdown pass. The Bobcats took the lead again with a 76-yard rushing touchdown from junior wide-receiver Tyler Watts.
Before the end of the half, New Mexico State kicked a 35-yard field goal. The Bobcats went into the locker room on top 21-17.
The third quarter for both teams was full of surprises. The Aggies scored two touchdowns putting them ahead of the Bobcats 31-21. With that, there were two fumbles for each team, an interception from Williams and seven total penalties.
With three seconds left in the quarter, the Bobcats cut down the lead with a 13-yard touchdown pass from Williams to Watts. With a good kick from freshman kicker Foster Hilborn, the Bobcats trailed 31-28 to end the third.
The Bobcats mustered a touchdown in the fourth, but New Mexico State kept the lead with two touchdowns. The final score was 45-35.
Leading the Bobcats offensively was Williams with 321 passing yards and two touchdowns. King, Watts and Schrade each had one touchdown for the night. Watts also led the way with 76 rushing yards.
Defensively, sophomore linebacker Bryan London led with 13 tackles and senior linebacker Gabe Loyd completed ten total tackles and one sack.
Texas State will be back at home Nov. 11 for their final home game of the season against Georgia State University. Kickoff will begin at 3 p.m.