Bobcat volleyball sweeps Huskies in first match of weekend

Texas State junior middle blocker Jillian Slaughter (8), junior outside hitter Janell Fitzgerald (16), and redshirt sophomore outside hitter Lauren Teske (18) stand in position preparing for the next play, Friday, Sept. 18, 2020, at Strahan Arena against Houston Baptist University.

The Bobcats secured a win against the Houston Baptist Huskies, improving their record to 4-1 on the season.
Both teams played a close first set, with the Bobcats leading 18-14 at one point. The Bobcats led the Huskies with 16 kills and a hitting average of .359%. Junior outside hitter Lauren Teske led the Bobcats with 10 attacks. Texas State clinched a win in the first set, beating the Huskies 25-18.
In the second set, the Bobcats led the Huskies for the majority of the set. The Huskies called a timeout once the Bobcats led 8-3. Senior middle blocker Tyeranee Scott led Texas State in kills in the second set. The Huskies trailed the Bobcats 25-20 to end the second set.
“I keep telling [Scott] she can take over matches,” Texas State Head Coach Sean Hueit said. “She doesn’t realize how good she could be and is.”
The third set consisted of the Bobcats trailing the Huskies. Before the first time out on the Bobcats, both teams were tied 12-12. Junior middle blocker Jillian Slaughter kept Texas State ahead with a kill to make the game 20-18. The set intensified as the Bobcats approached match point. The match ended with the Bobcats beating the Huskies 25-21.
“We improved with our serving and our floor defense, and that’s something we’ve really worked hard on this week,” Hueit said.
Both teams will play again at 11 a.m., Sept. 19, at Strahan Arena. The Huskies will look to rebound from the night’s loss, and Hueit says his team, who was up 17-7 at one point in the second set but only won 25-20, needs to be mentally prepared.
“They’re a team coming for us, and they’re not going to back down,” Hueit said. “They have some kids on their roster that wanted to come to Texas State or got recruited from Texas State for a little bit, [and it didn’t] work out. When you play that, those kids have a little grudge match coming, and they’re going to try and give you their best.”