Student Government makes changes to amendments included in new constitution

A student addresses social injustice on campus to Student Government Nov. 11.

Student Government discussed changes to the new constitution in The Constitutional Overhaul and Student Government Reform Act of 2019 at the Nov. 11 meeting.
The meeting began with members of the public expressing their concerns. Jessica Lieck, political science senior, brought attention to the recent appointment of Stella Silva to interim chief diversity officer and director of the Office of Equity and Inclusion.
Lieck spoke of her concern with the allegations of Silva voiced via Twitter Oct. 24 by various students. Student Government President Corey Benbow said the issue has come to his attention and has been discussed with administration.
Old business follows from the last meeting included Student Government establishing a new constitution upon ratification. As stated in The Constitutional Overhaul and Student Government Reform Act of 2019, “It seeks to reform all components of Student Government in accordance with recommendations from the Student Government Task Force.”
Attention was brought to Article IV in Section 2 where it stated “The senate leader and house leader will serve as ex-officio members of the cabinet, whose invitation and participation in cabinet will be at the sole discretion of the president.” Senator Colton Halter was one of the many senators who disagreed with the amendment.
“It gives the president too much power to hold information,” Halter said.
Additional changes and edits were not only included in Section 2 but in other sections throughout the reform, such as 7, 10 and 12.
The title of “Cabinet” has been changed to “Executive” in Article IV, with changes in sections 1-4. When making alterations, there is a period of debate and a period of voting among senators.
Continuation of change in the reform has been moved to the next Student Government meeting Nov. 18.
Student Government meetings are open to the public and are held every Monday at 7 p.m. in the LBJ Teaching Theater. The meeting agenda and resolutions can be found on the Student Government website.