Final road game of season results in 4-0 shutout loss for Texas State

Mandalyn Lewallen
Texas State forward sophomore Addison Peters (16) goes to head the ball in order to gain possession during the game against North Texas, Thursday, Aug. 24, at Bobcat Soccer Complex.

In its last road match of the season, Texas State soccer (8-6-3, 3-3-3 Sun Belt Conference) fell 4-0 to the University of South Alabama (14-0-3, 7-0-2 Sun Belt Conference) Sunday afternoon at The Cage Soccer Field in Mobile, Alabama.

The loss marks the fourth shutout Texas State has suffered in its history against the Jaguars.

“It was a tough loss today, but certainly no shame in dropping the game to South Alabama,” Texas State head coach Steve Holeman said. “We had a handful of quality chances and needed to be more clinical when we got them, but it seemed like each time we got some momentum, they would score.”

The Jaguars took the lead early into the match, with junior forward Amber Fortenberry sneaking a corner kick past Texas State freshman goalkeeper Caitlyn Draper in the 13th minute.

The second goal came after a controversial penalty ruling in the 40th minute, which ended in a face-off between Draper and South Alabama graduate student forward Gabby Hollar, who found the back of the net to put the Jaguars up 2-0.

South Alabama had eight attempts at the goal before the end of the first half, while Texas State had two.

South Alabama found its way into the net two more times in the second half. The first came as a rebound in the 68th minute when freshman midfielder Gracie Wilson booted Draper’s rebounded save into the net.

The final goal of the afternoon came just four minutes later in the 72nd minute. After another rebounded save by Draper, Wilson once again kicked it into the net to solidify the 4-0 victory.

Despite the loss, the Bobcats clinched a spot in the Sun Belt Conference tournament.

Texas State will now move on to its final regular season match against Southern Mississippi (6-8-2, 3-4-2 Sun Belt Conference) on Senior Night.

Kickoff between Texas State and Southern Miss is scheduled for 6 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 26, at Bobcat Soccer Complex. The game will be available to stream on ESPN+.