Student Goverment constitution outlines impeachment process

Star File Photo

Screenshots taken from student body President Connor Clegg’s Instagram account surfaced Feb. 1 on social media platform. The post featured racist and sexist content. Not soon after, student groups and individuals began calling for the resignation of Clegg and began collecting signatures for a petition.
A petition to impeach Clegg has circulated online and as of 4 p.m. Feb. 2 has garnered over 1,333 endorsements.
A rally has also been organized and will occur at the Stallions sculpture at 11 a.m. Feb. 5 to march to President Denise Trauth’s office and hand in the petition.
Students claim they will march to President Denise Trauth’s office to order removal. However, the Student Government constitution outlines the impeachment process in a different light.
For the president or vice president of Student Government to be removed, they must violate any one of six standards:

• Violation(s) of the rules, regulations and laws of the Student Government,
  • Violation(s) of this constitution,
  • Violation(s) of orders or opinions of the Supreme Court or other courts;
  • Gross violation(s) of the Code of Student Conduct and university polices,
  • Dereliction of duty,
  • Conviction of any federal, state, or local crime above that of a class C misdemeanor

Following a violation, an Article of Impeachment must be signed by, at least three senators or three representatives naming the accused being charged and submitted to a review commission.
The review commission shall be conducted in a joint session of the house and senate. The review commission is then responsible for investigating the allegations presented in the Articles of Impeachment within five business days of it being submitted.
According to the Student Government constitution, the trail is open to the public, and limits the power of the individual.
“If the accused is impeached by the review commission, that member shall lose the powers of his or her office until the conclusion of the trial. Upon the member’s impeachment, the Senate or House, depending on jurisdiction, shall conduct a trial at the next regular meeting, or specially called meeting for that purpose.”
If the president or vice president are on trial, a vote will be conducted and a two-thirds vote shall constitute removal.
If the body votes and impeachment is confirmed, they shall never again be allowed to hold office in Student Government. An appeal of removal must go to the Dean of Students, then the vice president for Student Affairs and then to President Trauth, in that order.