Women’s basketball pick up 15th win

Graphic by Shayan Faradineh | Managing Editor

The Texas State Women’s basketball team picked up its 15th win of the season with a 78-69 victory over the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers.
Texas State has partnered with the Hays-Caldwell Women’s Center and during the game both coaching staffs wore orange ribbons in honor of Dating Violence Awareness.
The Bobcats’ win gives them a 15-7 record for the season with an 8-3 record in Sun Belt Conference play. When hosting, the Bobcats are 7-2 in Strahan Coliseum and have a road record of 8-4.
Leading the Bobcats in scoring was junior guard Toshua Leavitt who turned in 27 points with two assists, a block and a steal in 40 minutes. The junior sharpshooter was 6-9 from three-point range, giving her 106 triples on the season, far surpassing her previous best of 77 last season.
Finishing second in points for Texas State was senior forward Ti’Aira Pitts with 16-points in 34 minutes. The senior posted three assists and two blocks as well.
Senior guard Taeler Deer had 15-points on the evening and rounded out her game with six assists and two blocks.
Texas state took a big lead early in the game, going up 26-11 in the first 10 minutes of play. Pitts shined early in the first knocking down her first three shots from behind the three-point line.
It was in the second quarter where Pitts hit her fourth triple of the game, leading the Bobcats on a 15-0 run that put an end to a run from the Chanticleers. The Bobcats closed the half up 41-22.
The third saw Texas state fight to hold their lead, preventing Coastal Carolina from closing the gap.
Unwilling to give up, the Chanticleers mounted a 9-0 run early in the fourth, cutting the deficit to 6-points.
It was two final threes from Leavitt, her fifth and sixth, that sealed the win for the Bobcats, giving them the 9-point win.
The Bobcats move right along though their schedule with a matchup against Appalachian State in Strahan Coliseum Feb. 2, at 2 p.m.