The march on Clegg

Students gather around the Fighting Stallions calling for impeachment of Student Goverment President,Connor Clegg, Feb. 5 Photo by Tyler Jackson | Multimedia Editor

Students marched to the LBJ teaching theater calling for the impeachment of student body president following racist and sexist posts found on his Instagram.
On Feb. 5 at 4:40 p.m., students and alumni gathered on the Quad to protest for the impeachment of student body President Connor Clegg. The protest lasted until 6 p.m. when protesters moved to the LBJ Student Center.
Before delivering a petition of more than 1,900 signatures and a chamber of criticisms to the Student and Senate Open Forum, over 300 students joined the March to Demand Action Against Racism At TXST and posted at the Fighting Stallions statue to create a united front against the lack of consequences for Clegg’s posts.
With a large white sheet reading: “No racism / No fascism / All power to the people.” Organizers collected the attention of protesters and counterprotesters to voice concerns. Tafari Robertson, former Star columnist, former president of the Pan-African Action Committee, and public relations senior, spearheaded the protest.
“It needs to be a campus-wide revolution,” Robertson said. “It’s not just about one person; it’s about changing the way our university functions. We need to take concrete action to let students know that hate will not be tolerated on campus and that students of color are safe and a functionally important part of this university.”
Alissa Guerrero, an international relations senior, composed the articles of impeachment against Clegg, citing his actions as a misrepresentation of the student body.
“This is what we call abuse of power. He has used his student-elected position to promote his own personal agenda above that of the students at Texas State University,” Guerrero said. “This is what we call abuse or power. We elected you to this position and we can take you out of it.”
Of the multicultural organizations that were involved, PAAC, Texas State NAACP Collegiate Chapter 6875-B and Student Community of Progressive Empowerment had representatives speak on behalf of minorities in the campus community.
Yunuen Alvarado, programs coordinator of the Student Community of Progressive Empowerment and journalism junior, is a proudly undocumented student and beneficiary of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.
“I have never felt like I belong at this university,” Alvarado. “We should not have to put up with a racist student body president who does not care about us. I don’t need anybody’s pity. I need action. We all need action.”
Rudy Martinez, former Star columnist and philosophy senior, called for the revision of the double standards that preside in the administrations on campus.
“I’m embarrassed because there is a clear and dangerous double standard here at Texas State University,” Martinez said. “If minority students, such as myself and others, aim to provide minority communities a voice that is to be critical of existing power structures, we get labeled as racist and abhorrent.”
Emmy Orioha, political science junior and president of PAAC, challenged administrators to confront anti-diversity actions on campus.
“We love this school so we challenge this school,” Orioaha said. “When we have a student body president who sits there as the head of the Senate and affirms a bill that protects First Amendment rights but then calls to defund the university newspaper, that’s not right.”
Russell Boyd II, political action chair of the Texas State NAACP and public administration senior, is unsurprised by Clegg’s actions and President Trauth’s response calls for both to be held accountable.
“Trauth has never been an advocate for students,” Boyd said. “When you have your own student body president condoning this kind of racist behavior and you hope that his apology matches, that is completely reprehensible. She is just as guilty as he is. They both should be held accountable.”
Counterprotesters approached by The Star refused to go on the record. However, these counterprotesters participated in debates, refuting the necessity of the march and of the resignation of Clegg, saying that racism is not specific to minorities.
The march ended at the LBJ teaching theater, where Student Government hosted a public forum that allowed senators and students to discuss issues on campus.

• Students gather around the Fighting Stallions for the impeachment of Student Government President,Connor Clegg, Feb. 5

Photo by Tyler Jackson | Multimedia Editor

• Photo of University Star Newspaper headlining the march on Connor Clegg.