Impeachment to be discussed at Student Government meeting

Student body President Connor Clegg listens to student’s testify at Student Goverment public forum, Feb. 5.

Photo by Cameron McRae

Student Government will read impeachment charges against the student body President Connor Clegg at Monday night’s meeting Feb. 19. The articles of impeachment bring six charges against the student body president.
The articles of impeachment were drafted by Alissa Guerrero, international relations senior, and Claudia Gasponi, University College senator and general studies senior. The articles have support from seven student senators and eight representatives from the Graduate House.
In a letter to constituents, titled “From the President’s Desk,” Clegg called for the resignation of members of The Star’s editorial board and defunding of the student publication. That is when Guerrero decided to take action.
“Although the process is somewhat long, I am excited,” Guerrero said. “I believe Clegg will be impeached one step at a time.”
After being certified by the Chief Justice John Garcia, political science, senior, the articles of impeachment were officially submitted Feb. 16 to the Student Government vice president, dean of students, Student Government advisor and chief justice.
“The governing documents made it clear as day that (Clegg) had made some very impeachable actions,” Gasponi said.
Following the reading of the articles, the senate will go to a review commission to be reviewed by the student supreme court, who will decide which articles, if any, are eligible to be voted on as grounds for impeachment.
Following the review commission’s decision, the articles go back to a joint session between the senate and house, both legislative bodies will need to agree on a date and time.
According to Student Government impeachment procedure, this will happen within 10 days of the joint commission’s decision.
Finally, a vote will be held on the charges returned. A two-thirds majority is needed from the senate and a unanimous vote is needed from the Graduate House for impeachment.
Elijah Miller, a candidate for Student Government president, has sponsored the articles of impeachment.
“After hearing the overwhelming consensus from students, there was no way Emari Shelvin and I couldn’t support these articles of impeachment,” Miller said. “We have said time and time again that we will advocate for the best interest of the student body so this is how we put practice into play.”
Guerrero said students need to e-mail the senators that represent them and urge them to vote on the students’ behalf. She said student involvement like protests and online petitions may play a factor in the outcome.
“There were more signatures than expected and required so that’s really nice to know that people stand against racism at Texas State,” Guerrero said.
Clegg thinks that this is just an effort to dismantle a presidency that people have routinely disagreed with.
“What they’re alleging is simply not an accurate representation of what it means to break the Student Government code or Student Government Constitution,” Clegg said.
The last part of the articles of impeachment, Appendix E, exhibits examples of the alleged cultural insensitivity Clegg participated in via Instagram posts. However, these are not impeachable offenses themselves.