Voter registration for primaries closes soon

The deadline to register to vote in Texas’ 2018 primary election is on Feb. 5.
Early voting will open Feb. 20, followed by the official day to vote in the primaries on March 6. Texas will be the first state to weigh in on the midterm election; the next state will be Illinois two weeks afterward on March 20.
Those who miss the Feb. 5 deadline will not be able to vote in the Texas primary election but will have until Oct. 9 to complete registration for the general election. The general election will be held on Nov. 6.
These elections will determine the official candidates for the 2018 midterm election that will span from legislators for Texas to U.S. senators.
U.S. citizens will be eligible to vote so long as they are 18 at the time of the election, are not currently incarcerated, on parole or on probation for a felony, and are registered in the county of their residency. Citizens must be registered in their county of residence.
Applications for registration can be found at:

• The Hays County Election Administrator’s Office at 712 South Stagecoach Trail
  • Libraries and post offices
  • Texas Department of Public Safety and Texas Department of Human Services offices
  • Online through the Texas State Student Government website and the Hays County Government website.