City Council swears in Hughson, Gleason

A file photo of the San Marcos City Council meeting chamber.

The San Marcos City Council declared results of the Dec. 8 runoff election for the mayoral and City Council Place 5 races at a special meeting Dec. 14 and voted for the fulfillment of the mayor pro tem and deputy mayor pro tem positions. 
Incumbent Mayor Jane Hughson, who accumulated 65.95% of the vote, was re-elected. After administering an oath of office, Hughson gave thanks to her family and friends and emphasized her goal of working with the community to make San Marcos a better place. 
“I often get credit for the city running as well as it does which I respond ‘thank you’ and then I tell folks there are over 700 employees of the city and they’re the ones responsible for making San Marcos marvelous,” Hughson said. “I look forward to working with my colleagues and we will be rolling up our sleeves to work for you, San Marcos.”
Mark Gleason was elected for City Council member Place 5 with 56.01% of the vote and thanked the citizens of San Marcos for his election victory.
“I’m looking forward to serving with my colleagues and serving the community and the citizens of San Marcos,” Gleason said. 
Gleason will fill the one-year remainder of the unexpired term of City Council member Place 5 which was formerly held by Jocabed “Joca” Marquez who gave thanks to her colleagues and for the opportunity to serve the community.
“As I leave my seat, I am content knowing our city is in good hands with our new council members,” Marquez said. 
The City Council then voted to appoint members for the vacant mayor pro tem and deputy mayor pro tem positions. 
Place 6 council member Melissa Derrick was unanimously selected for mayor pro-tem and Place 4 council member Shane Scott was selected for deputy mayor pro-tem following a 5-2 vote.
The San Marcos City Council meets virtually at 6 p.m. every first and third Tuesday of each month. For more information, visit the City Council website.