Bobcat volleyball to take on undefeated Ragin’ Cajuns

Texas State volleyball junior outside hitter Kenedi Rutherford (1) high fives her teammates as she comes off the court during a game against the University of Louisiana at Monroe, Saturday, Sept. 26, 2020, at Strahan Arena. The Bobcats won all three games against the Warhawks this weekend.

Texas State volleyball (8-1 overall, 3-0 Sun Belt) will travel to Lafayette, Louisiana, for a three-game series against the undefeated University of Louisiana at Lafayette (11-0 overall, 5-0 Sun Belt) Oct. 16-17.
The first two games will take place at 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Oct. 16, followed by the final game at 1 p.m. on Oct. 17.
The Ragin’ Cajuns have put together an impressive season thus far, securing the top spot in the Sun Belt Conference and ranking No. 15 in the AVCA poll with 60 points.
Louisiana currently leads the conference in kills (541), hitting percentage (.275) and assists (513). The team also ranks second in digs (693) and third in opponent hitting percentage (.129).
Senior outside hitter Hali Wisnoskie leads the Rajin’ Cajuns with 171 kills (4.62 per set). Senior setter Avery Breaux leads in assists with 445 (12.03 per set). Senior defensive specialist/libero Hannah Ramirez leads the team in digs with 197 (5.32 per set). Sophomore middle blocker Kara Barnes has the most blocks on the team with 36 (0.97 per set).
Texas State currently has the fourth-best record in the Sun Belt. While technically unranked, the Bobcats received the 16th most votes in the AVCA coaches poll with 34 points.
The Bobcats rank third in kills (456), hitting percentage (.257) and assists (421).
Junior outside hitter Janell Fitzgerald leads the Bobcats in kills with 111 (3.36 per set) and total blocks with 25 (0.76 per set). Junior setter Emily DeWalt leads in assists with 332 (10.38 per set). Junior defensive specialist/libero Kayla Granado leads the team in digs with 131 (3.97 per set).
Texas State has not played since sweeping the University of Louisiana at Monroe on Sept. 25 and once again on Sept. 26. The Bobcats were supposed to play the University of Texas at Arlington Oct. 2-3, but the game was postponed due to positive COVID-19 tests on the opposing team.
Louisiana has also had some time off, last playing ULM and winning 3-1 (25-20, 23-25, 25-17, 25-12) on Oct. 2 and 3-0 (25-20, 25-21, 25-19) on Oct. 3.