Student Government votes against resolution to disband the office of parliamentarian

Student Government senators vote on an amendment to a resolution during a regular meeting, Monday, Sept. 28, 2020, over Zoom.

The Student Government Senate voted on a resolution calling for the disbandment of the office of parliamentarian of the Senate at its regular Nov. 9 meeting.

The resolution, written by Senator Matthew Smith and sponsored by Senate Leader Quintin Lorenz and three other senators, failed to meet the two-thirds threshold with a vote of 12-13-3, and didn’t pass.

The parliamentarian, per the Student Government Constitution, is to be internally elected by majority vote of the Senate and removed by a two-thirds vote. The parliamentarian is responsible for keeping order at meetings, assisting with debate and discussion and completing any additional tasks assigned to them by the chair of the Senate or the Senate itself.

“The office of parliamentarian has been abused to the point of causing a vote-of-no-confidence,” Smith writes in the resolution. “The Supreme Court, in its judicial wisdom, has deemed it unimportant to fill.”

The resolution follows the Senate passing a vote-of-no-confidence resolution to remove Cody DeSalvo from the office of parliamentarian.

At the Nov. 4 hearing of DeSalvo’s complaint regarding the constitutionality of a majority vote to remove him from office, the court reinstated him, writing in its opinion that, “In effect, Senator DeSalvo never ceased to be the Senate parliamentarian.”

In addition to voting against the disbandment of the office of parliamentarian, the Senate confirmed Serenity De Leon and Ivan Maldonado to the positions of senator-at-large.

All Student Government meetings and court hearings are open to the public and can be accessed by visiting the Student Government website.