Language of the Unheard: Reparations

Editor’s Note: For the remainder of the school year, The University Star will take on “The 11% Project”, an examination of Black students at Texas State through History, Election, Hometowns, Activism, Creatives, Mentorship and 10 years from now.
During the month of November, The Star will release a five-part audio series, as part of The 11% Project, covering aspects of the election from the perspective of Black students at Texas State.

For this installment of Language of the Unheard, The Star spoke to Black students on Texas State’s campus about reparations — what it means to them, if money can right the wrongs of systemic oppression, what Texas State can do better to provide them better opportunities to succeed and what newly-elected officials need to address moving forward. 

Most of the students we spoke to did not think money would solve any issues long-term. Instead, they expressed a desire to be heard — for their voices and feelings to get taken into consideration when decisions are made. Following years of unkept promises to Black communities, the students highlighted the importance of holding government officials accountable for their words and pushing to ensure words translate to action. 

Students featured: Mass communication freshman Yaa Antwi, electrical engineering freshman Daylen Barnett, criminal justice senior Justin Salter, social work junior Rita Kebah, transfer junior Raelynne George, business administration sophomore Cydarian Johnson and industrial engineering sophomore Malix Dunbar. 

Original soundtrack by Nosakhare Aduwa.