Language of the Unheard: Climate Change

Editor’s Note: For the remainder of the school year, The University Star will take on “The 11% Project”, an examination of Black students at Texas State through History, Election, Hometowns, Activism, Creatives, Mentorship and 10 years from now. 
During the month of November, The Star will release a five-part audio series, as part of The 11% Project, covering aspects of the election from the perspective of Black students at Texas State.
For this installment of Language of the Unheard, The Star spoke to environmental experts as well as Black students on Texas State’s campus about their thoughts on climate change, whether or not it is an important issue to them this election season and how it continues to disproportionately impact Black communities.
While a few of the students we spoke to did not view climate change as their top issue this election, they still recognized it as a serious problem facing our planet and one that deserves more awareness. Others have personally experienced or know people impacted by the effects of climate change and view it as imperative to act on before it is too late.
Students featured: Texas State health sciences sophomore Takyya Grover, biochemistry junior Casey Nzeadibe, electronic media senior Makia Golliday and vocal performance junior Joshua Moore.
Original soundtrack by Nosakhare Aduwa.