City council approves final motion in SMART Terminal development

Star File photo.

San Marcos City Council approved an economic development incentive agreement during the March 19 City Council meeting that the SMART Terminal will follow.
The motion was one of three needed for the development of the SMART Terminal. The council also approved the annexation of 734.6 acres of land for development within the site of the terminal.
The first motion passed was the incentive agreement, which will require developers and tenants of the terminal to follow guidelines from Code SMTX and the Transportation Master Plan. Some of these guidelines include flood control requirements, runoff from on-site development and noise control.
The next two motions were for land annexation into San Marcos county limits. All three motions were passed with a six-to-one vote. Councilmember Jocabed Marquez was the opposition in each vote.
Other council members voted in favor, citing the development will bring jobs to San Marcos and a significant increase in tax revenue, which according to city council can be used for affordable housing and lowering poverty rates.