Student Government passes resolution to inform students of immigrant’s rights

File+photo

File photo

Student Government voted on a resolution to begin an awareness campaign for immigrant’s rights Oct. 23. In addition, two City Council candidates spoke to the audience asking for their support in the Nov. 7 election.
The resolution will function in two parts, an information campaign with fliers around campus, social media posts and a public forum hosted by Student Government. The resolution passed with unanimous approval.
Two pieces were read and will be voted at the next meeting, Oct. 30.
The Park Regulation Reaffirmation Act, will increase police patrol at Sewell park to enforce park rules and protect rare and endangered species only found in the San Marcos river area.
The possibility of adding an immigrant and international student tab on the resource page on the Student Government website will be voted on next week as well.
Not on my Campus and College Republicans, two student organizations, addressed the senate regarding a 5K run to be held on Nov. 5. The two groups have decided to come together and bring awareness to sexual assault on campus.
San Marcos City Council incumbents, Ed Mihalkanin (Place 3) and Jane Hughson (Place 4) addressed Student Government as guest speakers.
Mihalkanin said he should be re-elected based on his strong advocacy for student involvement within the community. Mihalkanin cited his previous support of former City Council member Chris Jones. Jones was the second Texas State student in history and the first in 33 years to win election to the San Marcos City Council. Jones won election to the post in December 2005.
Hughson said she should be re-elected because of her experience. Hughson has served as a professor and chairman on campus, and on the City Council. She addressed the body explaining her experience and the initiatives she has taken to serve students.
Early voting will run until Nov. 3 and election day is Nov. 7.