Houston native takes volleyball season by storm

Freshman Middle Back, Tyeranee Scott #3, overhand passes the ball back over the net against defender.

Photo by Ricardo Martin | Staff Photographer

Freshman middle blocker Tyeranee Scott graduated from Jersey Village High School in 2017 and moved to San Marcos the same summer.
In high school, Scott lettered all four years and also served as team captain. She was named to the All Cy-Fair District team all four years and was also featured in VYPE Magazine’s “Houston Volleyballers” section.
During Scott’s senior year, she led the Cy-Fair School District in blocks, 1.30 per set, and landed in the district top five for total kills with 406.
Outside of school, Scott competed with the Houston Junior Volleyball Club where she won a 2014 Junior National title in the 15 USA Division. Scott also played for Asics Willowbrook prior to her time at Houston Junior Volleyball Club.
“The difference between high school and college volleyball is that there are higher expectations and more competition,” Scott said. “Basically, it is definitely harder because the girls here are more competitive and taller.”
Scott chose Texas State because of its location and how family oriented it felt on her visit.
“I chose Texas State because it is close to home and it is really family oriented,” Scott said. “I felt like I was at home when I came on my official visit last October.”
In addition, it was a plus to play for Texas State Head Coach Karen Chisum, who is currently in her 38th season coaching the Bobcats.
“I personally think it is pretty cool to play for someone who has so much experience in the game,” Scott said. “She is a great person to be around. Although she is super sweet, she will yell and get on you. I know it is all out of love and the fact that she wants you to be the best you can be.”
She left behind Terrance and Alicia Scott, for the first time to become a member of a bigger family. Although her parents are three hours away, she manages to talk to them every day.
“I am the only child,” Scott said. “It was really hard at first but I am adjusted now. My parents come to most of my home games. If they can’t make a game, they usually send me good luck videos and messages. If I am on television, they will send me a picture. They are super supportive.”
Scott was welcomed with open arms by the upperclassmen, despite all the stereotypes she had imagined. The business major has continued to build a relationship with her team members, on and off the field.
“Usually you would think the seniors are really rude and they’re not,” Scott said. “They are so nice and some of my favorite people.”
Despite being a freshman, Scott has earned her spot as a starter for the Texas State Volleyball team.
“It feels amazing,” Scott said. “I did not know that I would get to where I am so fast. It’s pretty great, but I know I have to continue to work hard.”
Scott has continued to make her presence known in each game. The Houston native has averaged 1.61 points per set, 1.24 kills per set and .65 blocks per set against teams like Sam Houston State University, Texas Christian University and Baylor University.
Expectations for the season are numerous, and include waking up at 5:30 a.m. even during the summer, lifting weights and practices on top of a regular school schedule.
Although it has been difficult, Scott would not trade her experience for the world.
“It was not the easiest to adjust to, but I managed,” Scott said. “My experience here at Texas State so far has been really great and I would not trade the people I have met and lessons I have learned for anything.”