Remembering Jordin Taylor

Photo Courtesy of Jordin Taylor’s Facebook

It has been a year since the death of a freshman student occurred at a Halloween party hosted by four fraternities near the town of Martindale.
On Oct. 29, 2016, Jordin Taylor’s body was found under the rear axle of a Skyline Party Bus at Cool River Ranch. Investigation revealed Taylor was hit by one of the busses on Oct. 28, 2016 and dragged along a gravel road where she sustained multiple blunt force trauma to her head.
Five months after Taylor’s death, her father, Freddie Joey Taylor, Jr. filed a lawsuit March 21, 2017, against 14 defendants represented in the event including the national and local chapters of the Greek life organizations present, the party busses, the driver of the bus which hit Taylor and the location where the event was held.
The lawsuit included a list of events leading up to the Halloween party and the suspension of the four fraternities involved.
On Oct. 14, 2016 Alpha Tau Omega Alpha Chapter, Pi Kappa Alpha Zeta Chapter and Kappa Alpha Order Epsilon Iota Chapter aimed to co-host the Halloween party and submitted a “Fraternity/Sorority Event with Alcohol Agreement Form” to Greek Affairs office. The event was to be held at Cool River Ranch on Oct. 28, 2016 with an estimate of 1,000 attendees, according to the lawsuit.
On the same day, Greek Affairs at Texas State declined the request to host the event due to the estimated number of attendees. In addition, Kappa Alpha Order Epsilon Iota Chapter was already on suspension by its National Office.
A few days later, Alpha Tau Omega Iota Alpha Chapter met with Greek Affairs about the fraternity hosting its own Halloween event. Pi Kappa Alpha Zeta Chapter submitted a similar request a few days later, stating the chapter would be the only host.
On Oct. 19, 2016 the two fraternities submitted a plan to host together. The application stated that there would only be an estimate of 250 guests.
However, the event Taylor attended on Oct. 28, 2016 was organized by the four fraternity chapters with an estimate of 3,000 people in attendance. According to the lawsuit filed by Taylor’s father, “The only security present, were approximately 4-5 people who stood at the entrance of the event location. However, they allowed guests to come into the event who were under the age of 21.”
After the investigation, the university suspended the four fraternities for operating outside of suspension along with filing misleading forms and allowing minors to consume alcohol.
Annie Delaney, president of Alpha Delta Pi, said the tragedy still affects the chapter Taylor was apart of.
“Our sister, Jordin, was and will always be a light in all of our lives that we will carry with us forever,” Delaney said. “Although a year without her has been a hard one, we will always consider ourselves truly blessed to have known and loved her.”
On Nov. 11, 2017, there is a motion to enter order hearing. Meaning, after the preliminary hearing and before a criminal case goes to trial, the prosecutor and the defense team will appear before a criminal court judge and make pre-trial motions.