Bobcat football shuts out first opponent since 2014

Texas State senior wide receiver Marcell Barbee (18) celebrates after scoring a touchdown during a game against Houston Christian University, Saturday, Sept. 24, 2022, at Bobcat Stadium. The Bobcats won 34-0.

Texas State football (2-2) defeated the Houston Christian University Huskies (1-2) 34-0 on Saturday at Bobcat Stadium to shut out its first opponent since 2014 when the Bobcats took down Arkansas Pine-Bluff 65-0 at home.
The Bobcat defense did something that no other Bobcat defense has ever done since joining the FBS – hold an opponent to 142 total yards of total offense. The Huskies were held to 103 through the air, and more impressively 39 yards on the ground. 
As for the Bobcat offense, they compiled 479 yards against the Huskies, and, for the first time this season, scored points in the third quarter. After four games, the Bobcat offense has only scored three points in the quarter following half-time.
Head coach Jake Spavital was disappointed that his offense wasn’t as productive in the first half but was proud of his defense showing the resiliency to keep fighting, spending over three minutes more of game time on the field in the latter half.
“We’ve got to be a better offense, it’s a team game,” Spavital said. “We talk all the time about how there’s a lot of adversity and you’ve got to work your way through the game. The defense, they didn’t complain about it, they just showed back up and kept making stops and making plays. I was really proud of them.”
Sophomore running back Lincoln Pare paced the Bobcats on the ground, rushing for a season-high 84 yards on 19 attempts. 
Junior transfer quarterback Layne Hatcher had a game of his own, completing an efficient 27 of 41 passes for 363 yards and four touchdowns. 
The leading wide receiver for the Bobcats, senior wide receiver Marcell Barbee caught six passes for 112 yards and a touchdown.
Barbee, who injured his ribs in the first game against Nevada, hadn’t shown this type of production so far this season – only catching two passes before Saturday’s matchup against the Huskies.
“He was back to the old Barbee,” Spavital said. “It was fun watching him compete, you saw how he was throwing guys around and making those YAC [yards after catch] yards. I was just happy for him, he needed a game like that.”
Junior outside linebacker Jordan Revels accounted for seven tackles, half a sack, and one and a half tackles for loss in the win for the maroon and gold. 
He and the Bobcats know that although the non-conference games mean something, they have a challenge in front of them in conference play. It’s the most critical part of the schedule to produce wins for a chance at a bowl game or even a championship.
“It’s going to work every day, but it’s times ten,” Revels said. “Knowing we’re going into conference and knowing this really means something, all the games mean something, but conference play is where it’s really at.”
The Bobcats have completed their non-conference schedule and will travel over 1,400 miles to Harrisburg, Virginia, next weekend to face off against new Sun Belt Conference foe James Madison University.
The Dukes already have a conference win under their belt as well, defeating App State this past weekend — the same Mountaineer team that defeated Texas A&M in College Station two weeks ago.
The matchup between the Dukes and Bobcats will be at 12:30 p.m. on Oct. 1 at Bridgeforth Stadium. The game will stream on ESPN+.