Week of homecoming traditions to create a fun experience for campus community

Illustration by Delaney Compean

This year, old and new homecoming events will collide as Student Involvement and Engagement (SIE) focuses more on improving Texas State spirit and traditions.

Members of SIE wanted to create an experience for the overall community and incorporate that for students, staff and faculty.

Deion Robbins, spirit and tradition programs coordinator, said his goals for this year’s homecoming are reinforcing tradition and increasing attendance numbers to games and events compared to last fall.

“[SIE] wanted to elevate homecoming as spirit and traditions.” Robbins said. “That’s one of the reasons why homecoming this year was elevated.”

TXST’s Got Talent Show

Sponsored by the Student Association for Campus Activities, TXST’s Got Talent is a spin-off of America’s Got Talent. Students across campus present their talents to an audience and compete for the best overall performance of the night.

The event will take place from 7-10 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 25, at the LBJ Student Center Grand Ballroom.

Soap Box Derby

The Soap Box Derby is from 4-5:30 p.m. on Thursday at Woods Street behind the Housing and Residential Life Building. It is the longest-standing homecoming tradition, first starting in 1967. Students create derby cars and race against each other down a ramp at the top of a hill and toward a finish line.

Kiera Gonzalez, Cat Camp Public Relations Chair, is participating in the Soap Box Derby for the first time but has heard about how much of a good time people have at the race, from preparing their cars to being at the race itself.

“Something that I want to get out of this experience is whether I win or lose, it’s all fun,” Gonzalez said. “I love showing my spirit for Texas State because I love Texas State.”

Thursday Night Lights: Homecoming Spirit Parade and Pep Rally

Thursday Night Lights is a new event scheduled after the Soap Box Derby and separated into two parts.

The Homecoming Spirit Parade is from 5:30-6:45 p.m. It will start behind the Housing and Residential Life Building and end at the J.C. Kellam Building R9 Lot. Student organizations will drive their decorated golf carts or walk beside them down the path, along with President Damphousse and the homecoming court.

The group then moves to Sewell Park for the Homecoming Spirit Pep Rally, which starts at 7 p.m. and is cosponsored by Texas State Athletics.

Brenda Rodriguez, Student Involvement program director, said she heard of different iterations of the parade and rally in the past and wanted SIE to take the chance to host it.

“I would say this is the first time that we are looking at how do we continue to elevate the program and create some excitement,” Rodriguez said.

Boko’s Homecoming Bash

Boko’s Homecoming Bash is another new event from 7:30-10:00 p.m. on Friday at Bobcat Trail. Food trucks will be present, along with a Battle of the DJs.

“Instead of having an artist, it’s going to be two DJs battling each other — like playlists, different sets, interactive games and activities to do with the crowd,” Robbins said.

This event wraps up the week before the Tailgate with Royalty Court and the football game against Troy on Saturday.

Spirit Boards

Throughout the week, spirit boards designed by student organizations, departments and residence halls will decorate the Texas State campus. These are four-by-six plywood boards that can stand on their own.

Spirit Boards replaced spirit flags, which would be displayed only in the LBJ Student Center.

“The boards are brand new because we want to create a visual across campus and not just in one building, to really amplify that exposure to students in the community that it’s Homecoming Week,” Rodriguez said.

For more information on Homecoming Events for the week of Oct. 22-28, visit www.txst.edu/homecoming.