Residents, city officials work together in crime prevention

Attendees compete for a chance to win a cake in their neighborhood park Photo By Keller Bradberry

San Marcos residents and law enforcement are working toward building rapport through chili dogs and cake walks.

On the first Tuesday of every October the San Marcos community comes together to recognize National Night Out. San Marcos has been participating in this event for 35 years. National Night Out is a community-police awareness night. It is an opportunity for suburban communities to interact with city officials such as police officers or fire fighters. 
Law Enforcement officers and community members met at El Camino Real Park 6:30-8:30 p.m. The friendly gathering included lawn chairs, food and festivities. Bean bag tosses, cake walks and tours of police cars and firetrucks entertained guests.
The event is a celebration of trust and familiarity between public service and the community. It focuses on the revival of the old school of thought: knowing your neighbors. 
Nahum Melendez, Police Chaplain, said he lauded the gathering for bringing the community together.
There’s nothing better to refresh the soul,” Chaplain said. “Nothing better to grow the bond between law enforcement and the community.”
While National Night Out aims for suburban communities to create and maintain a safe and healthy environment for its residents, the event is also an open discussion for citizens to inquire about any safety concerns face-to-face with law enforcement and fire fighters.
Tony Scott has been a policeman for 11 years. He has helped organize his subdivision’s National Night Out for the past four years. Scott said his subdivision utilizes an active community page on Facebook to communicate minor issues like trash cans and loose pets.

“It’s not police versus citizens, it’s everybody working together to make this place safer,” Scott said.
Political science lecturer Rick Henderson, who is currently campaigning for place 5 in the San Marcos City Council, attended the event. Henderson said one of City Council’s many responsibilities is to ensure adequate police and fire protection and listening to the needs of homeowners.
When citizens feel like they are part of a community, they just naturally become much more a part of it, and I think that’s what makes San Marcos so unique,” Henderson said. “No matter what the neighborhood, people really feel like San Martians.”
The annual event is a celebration of the small-town community sentiment where homeowners get to know their neighbors and local officials. Safety and comfort were marked as a priority of the town during National Night Out in San Marcos.

• Two in costume from the children’s show “Paw Patrol” make a guest appearance.

Photo By Keller Bradberry