San Marcos hosts Veterans Day Parade

By Jaden Edison
San Marcos locals wave American flags Nov. 10 during Veterans Day Parade Photo By Jaden Edison

“Honoring All Who Served” was the theme and focus of the annual San Marcos Veterans Day Parade on Nov. 10.
The streets of downtown San Marcos were closed off from 8-11 a.m. to make way for the parade sponsored by the City of San Marcos and Veterans Affairs Advisory Committee along with local veteran organizations.
Veteran groups, military organizations, public officials, youth, school and community clubs, bands, drill teams, and the Junior Officer’s Training Corps of the San Marcos area were welcomed to join and participate.
Randolph Goodman, MC for the day and retired Navy Seal, said he was proud to be part of the celebration.
“Retiring in 1988, and coming back from Vietnam, celebrating Veterans Day really wasn’t a thing and parades were loosely attended but since 9/11 and the importance of the military it becomes more predominant in the fabric of America to give thanks,” Goodman said. “I’m glad to have a piece of this and be able to assist in any way I can.”
Not only was Veterans Day not widely celebrated before, but it was originally called Armistice Day because of the anniversary of the signing of the armistice that ended World War I.
Before the parade, people were able to get free biscuits and gravy breakfast sponsored by Cafe on the Square to warm up on the cold day. Children got a chance to decorate their bikes to participate in the parade and enter in a raffle to win a new bike with Kiwanis Club Kids Bicycle Brigade
Alexandria Rodriguez, biology sophomore, volunteered with Kiwanis Club. She said she was glad to be able to give back and help the community.
“It’s great to give back to those who gave to us and fought for us,” Rodriguez said.
Despite the cold weather and a bit of a late start due to rain, there was a large turnout.
The square was full of smiling faces both young and old. All walks of life, from local public schools to newly elected San Marcos mayor, Jane Hughson, took part in the parade.
Marsha Daniels, retired Navy Seal, said she was happy to watch the parade and show her pride. She even dressed her dog in a patriotic bandanna.
“I served 23 years and now being able to give back and volunteer and help other veterans and their doctor appointments,” Daniels said. “It’s great and I’m just very patriotic and loved serving my country and proud to serve and seeing people so appreciative.”
The Veteran’s Day parade brought the community together to honor those who have served. Floats and smiling faces offered thanksgiving for their bravery.