Faculty Senate addresses plans to change TRACS

Star File photo

Senators discussed concerns toward the recent announcement of a transition away from TRACS, during the Jan. 31 Faculty Senate meeting.
Sen. Scott Bowman, College of Applied Arts, is a member of the University Research Enhancement Committee. Bowman addressed questions regarding the committee’s current work towards abandoning the TRACS system for a more compatible and modern system. Many senators voiced their colleagues’ fear of the impact this would have on faculty that heavily rely on the platform, especially those with larger classes.
However, that committee has yet to select a new system for the university. The Faculty Senate has addressed the idea to leave TRACS for another system multiple times since last year.
Senators selected Sen. David Nolan, School of Journalism and Mass Communication as the new secretary, in light of Sen. Rebecca Bell-Metereau stepping down to run for the Texas House in the 45th District.
Other nominations were also addressed, including a member for the Curriculum Committee, the Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching Selection Committee, and the Presidential Award for Excellence in Scholarly and Creative Activities Selection Committee.
Faculty Senate will work with the Nontenure Line Faculty Committee in order to rename the Part-Time Teaching Award, with Vice Chair Janet Bezner taking the lead as a member of that committee.