Boreing-Becerra: Giving back to a loving campus

Former Student Government President Brooklyn Boreing, left, and former Student Government President Ruben Becerra Jr., right, won as the 2018-19 Student Government president and vice president. They’ve both since resigned.

Photo by Jakob Rodriguez

Advocacy, philanthropy, love, law and the intricacies of philosophy and ideology run throughout my veins. It is Texas State and the individuals I have met in my time here that awakened this deep love within me. In my five semesters at Texas State, I have crossed paths with many individuals of differing backgrounds, interests and cultures.
It is because of the voices and hearts of these individuals that I work to make Texas State a more loving, inclusive and student interest-centered school. It is for each of these students and the way they have affected my life that I want to affect serious change at this school, which so desperately needs it right now. it is for all Bobcats and the necessity of hearing each of their voices that I want to be your student body president.
When I first came to Texas State in the fall of 2015, I was going through one of the most awful transitions I could ever imagine. In my first six weeks at Texas State, I started a new journey without my family or best friends, broke up with my high school sweetheart and came out to the world about my first sexual assault. I had struggled with my mental health since I was 7 years old, and in the midst of the sexual assault, it became only worse.
I was diagnosed with PTSD and was put on over 200 milligrams of antidepressant and anti-anxiety medication. I thought I was done; I didn’t know how I could get happy again or acclimate to the university lifestyle. A few months later, I found myself immersed in Texas State. I attended every tailgate and several common experience events, gained leadership positions within my sorority and put myself out there in a way I never thought I could.
Fast forward to Spring 2016, and I would find myself co-founding Not On My Campus and within the years, I have seen the culture surrounding interpersonal violence altered incredibly. This organization has taught me so much about being an advocate and a leader, and it is through my work in NOMC I reached the realm of Student Government. In my time with Student Government, I have been able to interact with so many people and hear the voices of powerful and inspiring individuals. This experience has altered my life and changed my career path, the way I think and my senior year plans. I can’t imagine not serving the great students of this university my final year at Texas State. (I want to) give back to a school that has given so much to me. It is truly incredible to look back on my first six weeks here and think about how weak I felt versus how strong I’ve become. I am so thankful for Texas State for giving me this strength.
– Brooklyn Boreing is a candidate for student body president. The publication of this column is not an endorsement from The University Star.