Law enforcement, ICE detain Wimberley resident after traffic violation

Protestors stand outside the Hays County Sheriff’s Office, Jan. 31, demanding the release of Victor Alejandro Avendano-Ramirez.

Photo by Jakob Rodriguez | Assistant News Editor

Update: Feb. 7, 2:40 p.m.
Organizers from the community group Mano Amiga have circulated a petition Feb, 7. for the release of Avendano-Ramirez.
Organizer’s are asking the public to sign the petition which contacts U.S. Rep. Will Hurd to speak directly to ICE and inquire why officials are not using bonds for immigrants.
“Every signature counts as an email to sent directly to U.S. Representative Will Hurd’s office,” the petition states.
In addition to Hill’s office, the petition is also being sent to U.S. Sen. John Cornyn.

A rally was held outside the Hays County Jail by family and friends of Victor Alejandro Avendano-Ramirez, Wimberely Resident, Jan. 31. They were seeking his immediate release from the Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
On Jan. 30 at 4:52 a.m. Kyle police arrested 46-year-old Avendano-Ramirez for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. He had two warrants for his arrest on charges of driving without a license and violating a promise to appear in court, both class C misdemeanors.
During his booking process at Hays County Jail, Avendano-Ramirez told police he was not a U.S. citizen and was born in Mexico. On Jan. 31 at 11:11 a.m., ICE detained him and transported him to Austin for processing.
Nataly Avendano, Victor Avendano-Ramirez’s 17-year-old daughter, said her dad should not be subject to deportation due to a traffic violation.
“Instead of thinking about what prom dress I’m going to wear or how I want my graduation cards to be,” Avendano said. “I’m worried about my father being deported.”
Residents of Wimberley stood in front of the Hays County Jail with Nataly Avendano to show their support for the family and demand that Victor Avendano-Ramirez is released. Those attending the rally showed up with posters claiming that a traffic infraction was no real cause for deportation. Attenders were encouraged to call the San Antonio ICE field office and demand Victor Avendano-Ramirez release, hoping that an overflow of phone calls would put pressure on San Antonio ICE office.
David Montes, a family friend who’s known Victor Avendano-Ramirez for six years, was present at the rally.
“I want him to know that we’re together as friends and as a community, and I want people to know that we only come here to work,” Montes said. “We didn’t come to harm anyone.”
Ruben Becerra, a candidate for Hays County Judge, gave his opinion on the detainment of Avendano-Ramirez.
“I feel that we’re wasting valuable resources invested in manpower, invested in money, by trying to enforce federally unfunded mandates,” Becerra said. “These resources should be spent in helping the community, and it’s unfortunate that this is how they chose to spend resources.”
No further information has been released by the Hays County Sheriff.
In October, Mano Amiga fought a similar battle for 20-year-old DACA recipient Felipe Abonza-Lopez who was held at the South Texas Detention Center. Abonza-Lopez was eventually released.