Planning and Zoning Commission reviewed intensive areas in San Marcos

San Marcos City Hall.

The Planning and Zoning Committee met Feb. 13 to approve two agenda items and review two others.
The committee unanimously motioned the approval of a request by Daniel Mahoney on behalf of the Edmund Jaster Hays County Partnership for a final plat consisting of approximately 10 acres of the J.M Veramendi.
The committee also approved a request by Hermann Vigil of Vigil and Associates for approval of a replat in the Blanco Riverwalk Subdivision. The replat would take one existing plot of land and split it up into 5 separate lots.
Lastly, the committee received a staff update and held a discussion regarding two spring 2018 preferred scenario amendments.
The first preferred scenario amendment reviewed was a proposal by Doucet and Associates to change an area at the 800 block of Peques Street from an area of stability to one of high intensity. High-intensity districts are applied to areas with excellent public transportation access, a full range of public facilities and larger infrastructure meant to accommodate a higher volume of residence and business services.
The second preferred scenario amendment to be reviewed was a proposal by Vance Elliott, on behalf of Corporation of the Presiding Bishop of The Church of Latter-day Saints to change an area located at 801 Chestnut Street from an area of stability to one of medium intensity. Medium-intensity districts are primarily intended to accommodate moderate residential uses, retail and service uses and moderate to high-intensity offices and institutions.
Consideration by council will take place in May. The next meeting will be held on Feb. 27.