Faculty share their graduate school experience

Faculty and staff explain why they went to graduate school.

Graphic by Shayan Faradineh | Managing Editor

Dr. Joey Martin
Professor of music, Director of Choral Activities and Associate Dean for the College of Fine Arts and Communication
Master’s Degree: Vocal Pedagogy
Graduate School: Southwestern Oklahoma State University
“For students who plan to attend graduate school, my advice is to align your efforts with your goals and absorb the most that you can. Find a way to distinguish yourself from all others from universities who are pursuing the same degree as yours.”
Dr. Eric A. Schmidt, Ph.D
Professor in the Professional Counseling Program and the Assistant Dean for Faculty and Staff Development within the College of Education
Master’s Degree: Counseling and Guidance
Graduate School: Texas A&M University Corpus Christi
“Early in my bachelor’s degree, I took a child psychology course. In that course, it became clear to me that counseling could help people learn about themselves in deeper, more meaningful way, that the people could use that self-awareness to make changes (cognitive, emotional, behavioral) in one’s life. This struck me as very powerful and beneficial.”
Victoria Black
University College, Director of Peer Mentoring
Counseling and Guidance Masters Program at Texas State Univerisity
“There’s lots of reasons why I think grad school is important. Furthering education in general is a great thing, master programs offer more specific training in professional development and resources that a bachelors degree might not offer. (My advice is) start early, do your research, look for funding opportunities within the school and outside, and network prior to being admitted.”
Twister Marquis
University College, Director of the Common Experience
Creative Writing at Texas State University
“(When choosing a program) I was looking for a program where I could work with some of the worlds leading voices in writing. I knew a couple of graduates of Texas State, and they were adamant about this being a strong program. You need to ask all the questions; you don’t know, what you don’t know, so you need to ask.”
Amanda North
Professor in the English department
MFA in poetry at Texas State University
“My advice ( about grad school) would be don’t look at it as some next step in a trade school adventure, but find the bigger purpose for it other than a degree.”
Dr. James Keefe
Senior Lecturer, Dept. of Computer Information Systems
Masters Business Administration degree, the University of Iowa, in Iowa City, Iowa PhD program, the University of Texas at Austin
What do you wish you would have known before picking the graduate school you picked?
“That there are a variety of academic pathways to get you into many fields.” Keefe said.
When did you apply for graduate school?
“The first time was way back in 1977! I was quite naive, so I can’t really advise anyone to be as irregular as I was.” Keefe said.
Favorite memory in Grad School?
“Having coffee and discussing world problems with other students, including those from cultural backgrounds different than mine.” Keefe said.

• Graduate Responses