Texas primary results are in

Hays County Historic Court House.

The Democratic and Republican primary elections were held on March 6, the nominated candidates will represent their respective parties in the mid-term elections on Nov. 6.

Rep. Beto O’ Rourke, D-El Paso, secured the Democratic primary nomination with more than 60 percent of the vote. Sen. Ted Cruz received more than 85 percent of the vote.
Congressional District 21
Mary Street Wilson received over 15,669 votes or 30.9 percent of Democratic vote, and will compete against Democratic candidate Jospeh Kosper who received 14,684 or 29.0 percent of the democratic votes. The two will meet in the May 22 runoff election to represent U.S. District 21.
Wilson, a former minister and math teacher, said her goal is to listen to people’s stories and create solutions, according to her campaign website.
Chip Roy rallied 19,319 or 27.1 percent of Republican votes to represent the party for District 21.
Roy previously served as Chief of Staff to U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz and as a senior advisor to former Gov. Rick Perry.
House District 45
Rebecca Bell-Metereau, Texas State English Professor, earned 5,133 votes or 45.4 percent of the Democratic votes and will head into the runoff election with candidate Erwin Zweiner who earned 3,466 or 30.7 of the votes. The runoff election for the candidates of House District 45 will be held May 22.
Erwin Zweiner is a conservationist, children’s book author and educator, according to her campaign website, Zweiner believes that service to community will be a cornerstone of her work.
Bell-Metereau ran for State Board of Education three times in the past, but came within four percent of the incumbent in the 2016 election. Bell-Metereau has spent 30 years instructing at Texas State.
Ken Strange earned 7,257 or 54.7 percent of the Republican votes securing the party’s nomination and will oppose Bell-Metereau in November.
Strange served on the Wimberley ISD Board of Trustees since 2008, including four years as the board’s president.
Ruben Becerra secured the Democratic nomination for Hays County judge with 7,175 votes or 68.41 percent, and Will Conley for the republication nomination who ran uncontested.
Becerra is a small business owner in San Marcos, he owns Gil’s Broiler & The Manske Roll Bakery and Dixie Cream Artisan Donuts.
Through a specially-called election, Lon A. Shell, former chief of staff, received the Republican nomination for Hays County Precinct 3 commissioner with 2,240 votes or 57.08 percent.
After Conley resigned to run for county judge, Shell was appointed the seat in 2017.
Colin McFerrin, Shell’s challenger, received 1,684 votes or 42.92 percent.
During the November general election, Shell will face Democratic challenger and attorney Jimmy Alan Hall.
Walt Smith will be the Republican candidate for Hays County Precinct 4 commissioner with 2,169 or 58.56 percent.
Jimmy Skipton, Smith’s challenger, received 1,535 votes or 41.44 percent.
The current Republican who holds the seat, Ray Whisenant said he will be retiring when his term ends in 2017.
Smith will face Democratic Omar Baca in November, who is running uncontested.
Here is a full list of the Hays County voting results for Republican candidates and Democratic candidates.