Volleyball extends win streak in sweep against UT Arlington

Texas State volleyball (15-1 overall, 10-0 Sun Belt) extended its win streak to 12 as it defeated the University of Texas at Arlington (8-2 Sun Belt) in a 3-0 sweep (25-17, 25-18, 25-20) Oct. 30 in Arlington, Texas.
In the first set, Texas State went up 8-4 early, but UTA managed a comeback capped off by a kill from junior outside hitter Brooke Townsend, bringing the Mavericks within two points as the ‘Cats led 12-10.
As the match continued, UTA struggled to put the ball down effectively as Texas State closed out the game with a 13-7 run. The Mavs lost the first set off their first serving error of the night, ending 25-17.
UTA came out with a little more energy in the second set as Townsend scored the first point for the Mavericks with a line shot. Texas State responded with a quick kill from junior outside hitter Janell Fitzgerald.
Both teams went back and forth throughout the set. Texas State never gave up the lead, but UTA managed to tie the game several times in the early going.
Following a 3-0 run by Texas State and a kill from junior middle blocker Jillian Slaughter, UTA called for a timeout as the ‘Cats led 18-14. Coming out of the timeout, the Mavs had two consecutive attacking errors leading to another UTA timeout.
Junior outside hitter Kenedi Rutherford had another big swing with a cross-court attack putting the ‘Cats ahead with a score of 21-15.
At game point, senior middle blocker Tyeranee Scott and sophomore outside hitter Lauren Teske recorded a joint block to force a UTA error and end the set 25-18.
UTA introduced a new line up at the start of the third set and jumped out to an early 4-1 lead. Texas State responded with a 4-0 run to take the lead 5-4 going into a UTA timeout. Right after the break, sophomore defensive specialist Michelle Foster served an ace, bring the score to 6-4.
UTA passed a free ball over the net to Texas State. Teske passed UTA’s free ball to junior setter Emily DeWalt who tipped the ball to the middle of the court, getting another point for Texas State for a score of 15-12. The point was reviewed for a possible net violation against DeWalt but was later dismissed.
With Texas State up 22-15, UTA made a last-ditch effort to prevent the sweep, going on a 5-1 run to narrow the lead 23-20. A Scott kill and a UTA attacking error ended the final set 25-20.
UTA’s top scorers of the night were Townsend and freshman outside hitter Brianna Ford who each had nine kills. Junior setter Kylee Kapp led in assists with 14 total.
Rutherford led the Bobcats with 11 kills, followed by Slaughter with 10 and Fitzgerald with eight. DeWalt was the leader in assists with 37.
Texas State will play UTA again, at 1 p.m. on Oct. 31 at the College Park Center. The game will be broadcasted on ESPN+.