Baseball seniors eager for second farewell season

Texas State senior infielder Cole Coffey and junior infielder Justin Thompson jump to celebrate a 4-3 win over Stony Brook, Sunday, Feb. 16, 2020, at Bobcat Ballpark.

After their 2020 season was canceled, it seemed like Texas State baseball seniors would suffer a tragic end to their collegiate careers, but the NCAA extended eligibility for certain athletes affected by COVID-19. As a result, the Bobcats’ seniors get a second chance in 2021.
    Last season, Texas State was poised for a championship run, sitting atop the West Division with an overall record of 14-4, the best record in the conference, heading into conference play.
    As the COVID-19 situation got worse, decisions regarding sports were made at the last minute. Less than 24 hours before the Bobcats were scheduled to play Appalachian State on March 13, senior infielder Cole Coffey and his teammates were told there would be no more games.
    “It was for sure heartbreaking,” Coffey said. “We were about to start bringing in App State; we were sitting there, and we finally get the text that we’re not going to be able to play that game, and more [updates] came out about the season.”
    A glimmer of hope appeared when the NCAA announced March 30 that spring athletes would receive an extra year.
    In order to qualify for that extra year, seniors were required to fulfill academic requirements, such as finishing another full semester or, like graduate student right-handed pitcher Garrett Herrmann, enroll in a master’s program to remain eligible to compete.
    “I graduated the past spring, so I already knew that I was coming back to do my masters,” Herrmann said. “Basically, I had to apply for the master’s program here, and right now I’m finishing that up, and I’ll graduate again this upcoming spring.“
    The Bobcats’ seniors were eager to start practicing after finding out they could return for another season. Senior outfielder Will Hollis was quick to accept the opportunity.
    “It was an immediate yes to come back for me,” Hollis said. “Being around the team we had last year and having most of the same guys back, I thought it was another chance for us to come back and win another championship.”
    Head Coach Steven Trout hoped his seniors would get the chance to play again, and now he is happy to see it come to life.
    “I’m obviously really excited that they [came back,] Trout said. ” I thought it was right for each of the student-athletes to come back.”
    Trout says the experience of the team has made things a lot easier on the coaching staff.
    “It’s been fun, but there’s a lot of senior leadership and then you have another junior class that should be seniors, so you got a lot of leadership out there,” Trout said. “I think more importantly they’re hungry to continue on this season and make it the best season we’ve ever had.”
    The Bobcats will begin their season March 5 at the 21st annual Shriners Hospitals for Children College Classic, against the Texas Tech Raiders, at Minute Maid Park in Houston.