Women’s sports announce first batch of 2021-22 signees

Texas State volleyball signed defensive specialist/libero Jacqueline Lee for the class of 2021.

Texas State women’s sports have introduced 15 players for their 2021-22 rosters, leaving coaches optimistic about the future of their respective programs and excited to see what the next generation of Bobcats can accomplish.
Basketball
In the early signing period for basketball, Texas State looked to fill out its guard spots with the addition of point guard Raven Adams and shooting guard Sierra Brooks.
In the 2019-20 season at Ridge Point High School in Missouri City, Texas, Adams averaged 10.6 points, 6.5 assists, 4.3 rebounds, and 4.3 steals per game as a junior.
Adams was the first player in her school’s history to record 500 career assists.
In Class 6A, Adams ranked No. 1 in assists and No. 5 in steals during her junior season and was the 2019-20 Fort Bend Independent School District Most Valuable Player.
Brooks averaged 14.7 points, 3.4 rebounds, 2.1 assists, and 2 steals per game as a junior at Harker Heights High School in Harker Heights, Texas.
Texas State’s Head Coach Zenarae Antoine is excited to have her newest recruits join the team.
“When you add these two young women and their families to Texas State University and our program, it is awesome,” Antoine said. “They are both hard-working, driven and wanted to be a Bobcat from the start. It’s a great day to be a Bobcat.”
Golf
The first signing for the women’s golf team’s 2021 class is Grayson Heilman.
Heilman a four-year letter winner at Seven Lakes High School in Katy, Texas. She also served as her team’s captain as a junior and senior.
Heilman has recorded 31 top-five individual finishes throughout her career.
Despite having individual success, Heilman is also a team player. In 2018 and 2019, Heilman helped SLHS win the regional tournament.
“We are very excited to add Grayson to our team. She is a great student, person and player,” Head Coach Par Nilsson said. “Grayson is a great athlete and hits the ball far. Her firepower gives her an opportunity to shoot low scores. Grayson’s work ethic is very impressive, and she is always looking to get better, so that is a perfect fit for our program.”
Soccer
The soccer team signed five well-rounded high school seniors.
The Bobcats inked goalkeeper Katelyn Chrisman from Belton High School in Belton, Texas. Over the past two seasons, Chrisman posted 31 shutouts, which helped the Tigers win the district championship each of those years.
Last spring as a junior, Chrisman was named to the Texas Association of Soccer Coaches’ 6A All-State First Team.
On the defensive end, Texas State added outside back Anna Dunch from Round Rock High School in Round Rock, Texas.
Dunch helped her club team Lonestar SC qualify for the national cup finals last year. Dunch is also a multi-sport athlete, having competed in cross country and track.
The Bobcats also added Zoe Junior from Liberty High School in Frisco, Texas. Junior was the All-District 9-5A Utility Player of the Year as a sophomore.
Like Dunch, Junior is also a multisport athlete. Junior was a member of Liberty’s 2020 UIL 5A State Championship basketball team.
Assistant coach Lorraine Quinn thinks Junior’s speed will be an asset on the break.
“We are excited to welcome Zoe to the Bobcat soccer family,” Quinn said. “She will help round out our 2021 class with a talented attacking addition. Zoe is quick on the ball and has the speed to be an attacking threat.”
Coming from Plano, Texas, is Mackenzie Myers of John Paul II High School.
In her four years with the Cardinals, Myers was the team captain for three of them. She received her team’s Most Valuable Player award each of the last two seasons.
Last year, Myers was named to the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools Divison I All-State Second Team.
In 2018, Myers scored 12 goals and had 11 assists, which helped the Cardinals reach the TAPPS Division I semifinals. In 2017, Myers helped her Elite Clubs National League team to the National Championship.
Rounding out the current signings is outside back/outside midfielder Ella Rodgers from L.D. Bell High School in Hurst, Texas.
Rodgers played club soccer for Solar SC during the 2019-20 season and the Dallas Texans in the 2018-19 season.
The Bobcats’ Head Coach Kat Conner is optimistic about her signing class.
“The 2021 signing class is talented,” Conner said. “I anticipate that they will make a positive impact.”
Softball
Last season, softball had a 15-9 record prior to the cancellations brought on by COVID-19. Now the team looks forward as they sign six new recruits.
The batch of signings includes three pitchers: Presley Glende, Kaitlyn Dutton and Bailee Welsh.
In her freshman season at Buna High School, Glende had 200 strikeouts with a .420 ERA. She received First Team All-State Honors that season.
Glende is also a two-sport athlete, receiving all-district honors in basketball.
At Barbers Hill High School in Mont Belvieu, Texas, Dutton was on the varsity squad all four years.
In her freshman campaign, she helped Barbers Hill get third place at the state tournament.
Dutton was ranked No. 92 in the Extra Inning Softball’s Extra Elite 100 for Class of 2021 rankings, and the No. 50 pitcher in the nation.
During her freshman and sophomore seasons at McGill-Toolen High School in Mobile, Alabama, Welsh was named the team’s most valuable player and received First Team All-County honors.
Welsh is a two-sport athlete as she is on the varsity track and field squad.
Coming to San Marcos from LaGrange, Texas, is infielder/catcher Missy Muras. She is the captain of her softball team.
As a three-sport athlete at LaGrange High School, Muras is a two-year letter winner in volleyball and was an area and regional qualifier in track and field.
Joining Muras is fellow catcher Makayla Hall from Klein Oak High School in Spring, Texas.
In her junior season Hall was named First Team All-District, after being on the Second Team as a sophomore and an honorable mention as a freshman.
Rounding out the Bobcats’ recruits is outfielder Ciara Trahan from Santa Fe High School in Santa Fe, Texas.
Trahan has twice been named first-team all-district outfield selection and all-county honoree.
Trahan is ranked No. 66 in Extra Inning Softball’s Extra Elite 100 for the Class of 2021.
Head Coach Ricci Woodward says the recruits will fill some gaps in the team.
“This 2021 class is going to be so much fun to watch in their careers,” Woodard said. “We feel we have added everything we need to keep competing at a high level: speed, power, pitching, catching and great competitors. We can’t wait to put them in Bobcat uniforms.”
Volleyball
The volleyball team signed defensive specialist/libero Jacqueline Lee from The Woodlands High School in The Woodlands, Texas.
In the 2020 season, Lee sported 508 kills and 47 total aces. In 2019 she was named to the All-District Second Team.
In 2017, Lee was named to the PrepVolleyball Watchlist. The American Volleyball Coaches Association named Lee to its 2018 and 2019 Phenom Watchlist and its 2020 Under Armor All-American Seniors Watchlist.
Head Coach Sean Huiet says Lee’s competitive spirit will allow her to be an impactful addition to the team.
“I am so excited to add Jacqueline to the Bobcat family,” Huiet said. “She is a baller. She just plays the game and competes hard all the time. She is such a competitor. I think she has potential to be a pretty special libero in our program, and I look forward to getting her on campus.”