Women’s basketball to face conference-best Louisiana

Texas State then-junior guard Ja’Kayla Bowie (15) pushes through defenders to get an open shot during the game against the University of Louisiana Monroe, Saturday, Jan. 23, 2021, at Strahan Arena. The Bobcats won 64-50.

Texas State women’s basketball (6-5 overall, 3-3 Sun Belt) will hit the road to face off against the University of Louisiana at Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns (5-6 overall, 4-1 Sun Belt) on Jan. 29-30.

The Bobcats are currently fourth in the West Division of the Sun Belt Conference while the Ragin’ Cajuns are first. Louisiana began the season 1-5 prior to the beginning of conference play but has since gone 4-1 in the Sun Belt. The only game the Ragin’ Cajuns have lost in conference play was against Texas State on Jan. 1

For the season, the two teams match up reasonably well statistically. Louisiana holds a slight edge offensively, outscoring its opponents by an average margin of +2.5 points. Texas State on the other hand only allows opponents to score  58.5 points per game (third-best in the Sun Belt) compared to the Ragin’ Cajuns’ 62.4.

The Bobcats are led by junior forward Da’Nasia Hood who is third in the conference in scoring at 17.4 points per game. In addition to her offensive output, Hood has been a strong presence on the glass all season averaging 8.2 boards per game.

Hood’s frontcourt partner sophomore forward Lauryn Thompson is second on the team in scoring at 11.8 per game and second in rebounding at seven per game. She is also top-10 in the conference in field goal percentage (48%), free throw percentage (82.1%) and offensive rebounds (2.5).

The Texas State backcourt is led by junior guard Kennedy Taylor who is second in the Sun Belt in assists per game at 5.5. Taylor has also been proficient at scoring the ball, averaging 11.2 points and shooting the fourth-best three-point percentage at 41.7%.

Louisiana is led by junior guard Brandi Williams who shoots a Sun Belt-best 46.7% from beyond the arc and averages 13.3 points. Joining Williams on the perimeter is junior guard Skyler Goodwin who averages 11 points per game and is second on the team with 5.7 rebounds.

Anchoring the Cajuns down low is senior forward Ty’Reona Doucet with 10.5 points per game, 8.3 rebounds and 2.1 blocks (second-best in Sun Belt).

The first game of the doubleheader takes place at 6 p.m. on Jan. 29 followed by the second game at 4 p.m. on Jan. 30. Both games can be streamed on ESPN+.