Judge Becerra issues mask mandate for K-12 public schools in Hays County

Hays County Judge Ruben Becerra listens to a speech at a protest held for and in honor of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor, Friday, May 29, 2020, at the Hays County Historic Courthouse.

As COVID-19 cases rise in the county and state, Hays County Judge Ruben Becerra issued an executive order mandating face masks for all K-12 public schools in the county. 
The order will go into effect at 12:01 a.m. on Aug. 15 and will continue to be enforced until modified or terminated by the judge. 
All students, staff and visitors over the age of two are required to wear a face mask while on school property, including school buses. According to the mandate, principals, responsible staff members or administrators may determine if students, staff and visitors do not have to wear a mask in certain settings. 
Becerra’s order states the Delta variant has led to increased hospital admissions in the county, including admission of pediatric patients. 
“Currently, 70% of all the 12-15 age group are unvaccinated, and children under 12 are not eligible for a vaccine at all. Masks are their only line of defense,” Becerra says in a press release. 
School districts across Texas, including San Marcos CISD, have already mandated facial coverings for the upcoming school year, acting against Gov. Greg Abbott’s May executive order which prohibits government-funded offices and buildings from mandating masks. 
The University Star’s COVID-19 coverage can be found here