Women’s basketball to face UTA in hopes of ending losing streak

Texas State senior guard Avionne Alexander (1) high fives her teammates as she is announced as a starter for the game against the University of Louisiana Monroe, Saturday, Jan. 23, 2021, at Strahan Arena. The Bobcats won 64-50.

After losing two straight games on the road, Texas State women’s basketball (7-9 overall, 4-7 Sun Belt) will face the University of Texas at Arlington Mavericks (10-5 overall, 8-3 Sun Belt) at home on Feb. 11 and away on Feb. 13.
Both teams are in the Sun Belt Conference’s West Division but are on different ends of the standings as UTA is in second place while Texas State is in fifth.
In the conference, Texas State junior forward Da’Nasia Hood is No.1 in points per game (16.4) and No. 5 in shooting percentage (39.8%). Hood is also a dominant presence on the glass as she averages 7.3 rebounds per game.
Sophomore Lauryn Thompson is the team’s second-leading scorer and rebounder with 11.6 points and 6.6 rebounds per game.
Junior guard Kennedy Taylor is another anchor for the Bobcats as she is No. 2 in the Sun Belt in assists (5.5) and minutes (36.5) per game and No. 4 in steals per game. Taylor is also a reliable scoring option as she averages 10.6 points per contest.
As for the Mavericks, junior forward Shyia Smith leads the squad with 12.8 points per game shooting 53.3% with 6.5 rebounds per game. Senior forward Bre Wickware averages 11.9 points on 39.4% from the field and 5.2 rebounds per game.
In the Sun Belt, junior guard Katie Ferrell is No. 3 in assists (5.0) and steals per game (2.2). Ferrell also averages 4.3 boards per contest.
Texas State will take on UTA at 7 p.m. on Feb. 11 at Strahan Arena and at 4 p.m. on Feb. 13 at the College Park Center in Arlington, Texas. Both games will be streamed on ESPN+.