San Marcos community gathers outside city hall to remember 9/11

photo911
photo911

Members of San Marcos assembled outside City Hall Sept. 11 to remember and honor the lives that were lost on 16 years ago.
The ceremony began with the San Marcos Fire Department Honor Guard raising the flag that flew over San Marcos City Hall the morning of 9/11.
Mayor John Thomadies, City Manager Bert Lumbreras and guest speaker retired Maj. Gen. Chris Adams were in attendance.
Following the national anthem, Adams, who served 31 years of active duty in the Air Force, spoke on the tragedies 16 years ago, honoring the first responders who gave their lives.
“Three hundred forty-three firefighters and EMP members were killed that day along with, 23 police officers and 37 local officials there in New York City,” Adams said. “They walked in there to save people.”
The community bowed their heads in a moment of silence as the historic fire bell in front of City Hall rang in honor of the first responders who died on 9/11.
Les Stephens, fire chief, said the ringing of the bell honors the duty of firefighters.
“They have completed their task, their duties well done,” Stephens said. “Their watch has been permanently relieved. A new watch has been posted. no traffic or messages are pending and the watch has been secured. The bell rings in memory of and tribute of their service.”
Thomadies read a proclamation to honor the national day of remembrance.
“The city of San Marcos will hold a brief remembrance on this day to honor the memories of heroic civilians by our fighters, EMS personnel and police officers who died Sept. 11, 2001,” Thomaides stated. “Therefore I, John Thomadies, by the virtue of the authority vested in me as mayor of the City of San Marcos, Texas, do hereby proclaim the eleventh day of Sept. 2017, as Remembrance Day in San Marcos and I do call upon all people of San Marcos to remember those lost on Sept. 11, 2001. And rededicated ourselves as patriotic Americans by flying the flag of the United States of America and reaffirming our commitment to liberty and justice.”
Members of the community then had the option of placing a rose near the 9/11 memorial, and the ceremony was concluded.