Planning and Zoning Commission approved to block a public road and extend alcohol permits

Photo by Shayan Faradineh

The San Marcos Planning and Zoning Commission met Oct. 24 to motion against the inclusion of a public street in the proposed Halcyon Concepts Continuing Care Retirement Community. The Commission also ruled on the continued sale of alcohol at The Spot, Perk Up and Hays Co. Bar-B-Que.
The commission unanimously approved the motion to block the addition of a public road that would intersect with the Halcyon Concepts Continuing Care Retirement Community. The Halcyon mission statement emphasizes the quality of life in a safe supportive environment. The Commission ruled that the presence of any public thoroughfare compromises the fulfillment of that mission.
The Commission also ruled to renew the sale of mixed beverages for The Spot Cinema Eatery and Social Haus, located at 1180 Thorpe Lane, Suite 130. The renewal was approved for a 3 year period.
Perk Up is a local coffee, salad and sandwich shop located at 407 South Stagecoach Trail, Suite 103. It was approved for the renewal of a Conditional Use Permit for the sale of beer and wine.
Hays Co. Bar-B-Que sought a renewal and amendment of a Conditional Use Permit for the sale of mixed beverages. However, the commission ruled to extend the renewal from a 3 year period to the lifetime of the business. The commission found that Hay Co. Bar-B-Que, located at 1612 S IH 35 had earned this lifetime approval due to its record of being a socially responsible establishment.
The agenda for the meetings is available on the city of San Marcos’ website. The next meeting will be held on Nov. 14.